a nice stricta x leonomiana, beautiful colored bracts
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anticipation

Very nice specimens and beautifully grown

o

I sure like that Silverado. Maybe I'll get a nice pup someday.

o

Hi Gonzer, great pics and great plants. Like Nick, I just love that 'Silverado'. Thanks for sharing them. Cheers, Paul

o

Gonzer you certainly have some nice plants.

o

Hi Gonz

Your plants look great as usual, and even though I don't grow Tillandsias, I can still appreciate nice clean, well grown plants.

All the best, Nev.

o

Great plants gonzer. Silverado is a beauty even if it blooms premature. Man that is a great hybrid. Haven't bloomed stricta X leonomiana yet. I'm going to have to have a talk with that plant.
Lets have some more pics.
Bob

o

Gonz, do you grow Creation? I'm not a Tilly grower either, but I like to keep this little guy around for the odd occasion it decides to bloom (one in back is in bud now too).

Photobucket

o

Lisa is that Tillandsia Creation? Beautiful!

o

Nicely flowered Lisa ,i am not a Tilly nut but thats one i do grow ,and in my estimation is as good a Tillandsia hybrid as there is ,and i do have a few ( very few ) seedlings of it crossed with Vr Splendens ,am only interested to see how the flowering is influenced ( purely experimental )its the first time i had any succes using it as a parent,
Jack

o

No I don't Lisa, tried it, but where I live isn't condusive to good looking specimens. Yours is killer!
No new shots but this one of the common T.edithae stills excites me everytime it blooms. I have a much larger clump plus a new form (minor) that are pushing buds.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

That could be interesting, Jack. Which way did you do the cross?

No, I'm not going to try anything like that. In addition to having no patience for Tills' slow pace, I'm also not motivated enough to go on a treasure hunt for Creation's floral parts.

o

Gonzer that edithae is Beautiful. Cross it with the leonameana plant.

o

Lisa, that 'Creation' is a stunner. I've been on the verge of getting one for a while. Now I just have to do it!

Gonzer, that edithae is also a stunner. I have a few of them that I've bought just because I like the plant form, without ever getting around to finding out what they're like when they flower. Now I know, and I can't wait! Thanks a lot for sharing it.

Cheers, Paul

o

Lisa, does Creation's flowers have the nice smell of its parent cyanea?

Bob, there aren't many cross with edithae. I've not had any luck with it.

o

If it does, it's not strong, Nick. I'll have to go put my nose in there and check if there's even a hint, but I've been working in that shadehouse and haven't noticed a fragrance the way I do when there's a cyanea blooming. With that amount of flowers open, you'd think it would be pretty potent!

o
smell

Okay, I gave it the sniff test and there is a faint carnationy fragrance, but not something you'd notice if you weren't looking for it.

o

Hi Lisa ,sorry for the slow reply ,the Tillandsia Creation was the pod parent ,as for me the Vr splendens selfes to easily and i needed pollen that will be capable of sending its threads into the immature ovaries and as Splendens Major has a very long stigmatic tube this seemed the best way to go ,i will try again with a few other things ,but yes dissecting the flowers to find all its little " wobbly " bits for pollinating is a bloody pain !
Cheers ,Jack

o

Jack, you must have noticed the pleasant smell when you were pulling on the petals?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here