Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyndi_whye

Lousy Weather Broms

lyndi_whye
13 years ago

The passed weeks saw many overcast days and storms and floodings in various parts of the island of Singapore.

Very unusual for the month of June.The broms are not at their best colours but I thought I just share a few nicer ones.

Neo. Bianca X Tiger

{{gwi:469383}}

Neo. DeRolf

{{gwi:469384}}

xNeophytum 'Lisanne Kiehl'

{{gwi:469385}}

Ae. blanchetiana

{{gwi:469387}}

O. navioides

{{gwi:469389}}

Raspberry Ripple -love the spines

{{gwi:469391}}

Shingi's Neo. Melanodonta

{{gwi:469394}}

Neo. Voodoo Doll

{{gwi:469396}}

Neo. (car. x Hannibal Lector) xTiger Cub

{{gwi:469398}}

Variegated Pineapple

{{gwi:469400}}

Comments (15)

• bob61
    13 years ago

Lyndi your plants have great color in my book.I like Raspberry Ripple, melanodonta, Voodoo Doll and the Hannibal Lector cross.
    Good show more pics please
    Bob

• dooleybugs01
    13 years ago

Lyndi,
    Bad weather or not your broms look great!! I love them all spines and all.
    Dooley.

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Nice plants Lyndi ,but my vote goes to ' De Rolf ' this is such a lovely plant and i dont think any hybrid has ever surpassed it for all its qualities ,still thats only my humble opinion ,cheers ,
    Jack

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Lyndi, I'm interested in the appearance of your Bianca x Tiger. Is that a fairly open rosette, or more tall and vase-like? I ask because I happened to run across one with the same parents on eBay the other day (see link), which, like most Tiger crosses I've attempted, seems to have inherit Tiger's urn shape but not its stripes. Just the opposite of what you would want! I suspect yours is a different clone, I'm just wondering how different? It could still use some further work to bring out the banding, but at least it's heading in the right direction!

Here is a link that might be useful: eBay Neo. Bianca x Tiger

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everybody! A few more.....

Neo. car x hl x punctatissima
    {{gwi:469402}}

A. pineliana minuta
    {{gwi:469404}}

Neo. Mr Odean -starting to colour up
    {{gwi:469405}}

Neo. Silvomontana Green
    {{gwi:469406}}

Neo . Car. Rainbow has a pup!
    {{gwi:469408}}

Neo. Car. Giant
    {{gwi:469409}}

Neo. LP X Car.has lost quite a fair bit of colour
    {{gwi:469410}}

• neomea
    13 years ago

Very nice Lyndi!

I got a LP X Tiger from Japs, seems like they dont like the sun very much and the colour bleaches out easily...

I also think that you should send me that Neo. car x hl x punctatissima pup... :-)

Cheers

Dennis

• graykiwi
    13 years ago

Great Sharkies Lyndi...interesting your 'Rainbow' has pupped, as the plant looks quite young and nowhere near flowering? Mind you, this can happen if you've just bought it in from overseas and she's got a shake up and change of climate I guess ? Looks like you could grow her much harder with more sun to bring out it's awesome bright orange colour (some great past photos on this forum from Japie I seem to remember ??)....I'm on a list of many Kiwis waiting for a 'Rainbow' of my own...they are as rare as world-cup-winning-poms here in NZ haha !!
    Thanks for showing !
    Cheers
    Graeme

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Haha! Dennis

Actually. the Neo. car x hl x punctatissima has two pups in the making. : )
    {{gwi:469411}}

and the Tiger cub hybrid is pupping too.
    {{gwi:469412}}

Graeme

The rainbow is not young, just that I pruned the lower leaves recently. It has been under shade for a while to prevent it from getting burnt. You see, after a few days of gloomy days, a sudden afternoon of hot sun can ruin all the broms. That's how my LP X Car ended up like that.

This is a picture of the rainbow with better colour and before pruning.
    {{gwi:469413}}

You are right about plants blooming shortly after arrival from overseas. Recently we have many newly imported plants blooming for us due to the 'cultural shock'. Haha!

• avane_gw
    13 years ago

Lyndi, your plants look great, like always!

I do not think that you have to be scared that Rainbow will burn easily (but then, I cannot vouch for your tropical sun!). It is much tougher than LP x Tiger though. And looking at that (car x HL) x Punctate of yours, I think you must start practising your pollination technichs!

Graeme, that Rainbow of mine, I got as an almost mature plant about two years ago and it still have not flowered like the same size Silver I got at the same time. But I have removed 3 pups from Rainbow already and right now it has started pushing 2 more! Pity I can't post you one!

Japie

• devo_2006
    13 years ago

Hi Lyndi,

I must agree with Jack, your De Rolf is a stand out plant! But those little variegated and banded neo's are just stunning.

Cheers, Andrew.

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry Lisa, I missed your questions. I believe the plant can get better. Here is a thread from the Thai forum, showing the same clone. I got my plant from Michael. I must say the ebay one is quite ugly. Hahahaha.

http://www.pantown.com/board.php?id=41546&area=4&name=board3&topic=13&action=view

• graykiwi
    13 years ago

Yeah how I wish you could too Japie !!..the sharkies are my all time favourite broms, 'Tiger' is the only one you can get hold of in NZ (if you're lucky) - the other carchs are here but only one or two growers have them and pups take a while to get around...I guess it makes the waiting all the more exciting!
    Graeme

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Thanks for the link, Lyndi. That clone certainly is better looking than the eBay one!

Rainbow does seem to be a good pupper. Mine didn't do anything until it bloomed a year ago, but since then it has produced 6, so I'd expect it to become more common in the trade before too long.

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree with you Lis. Mine was one of the first few plants I collected few yrs back and this is the first time it pups. Looks like Silver is just as bad. I would say Tiger is a more productive plant.

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree with you Lis. Mine was one of the first few plants I collected few yrs back and this is the first time it pups. Looks like Silver is just as bad. I would say Tiger is a more productive plant.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia
More Discussions