Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winterlager

Neo Id please

winterlager
15 years ago

I've had this neo for quite a while, it's not all that great, but since I've crossed it and planted the seeds, I guess it's time to figure it out. Can anybody help identify this?

{{gwi:469731}}

Comments (16)

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Some form of aztec maybe

• winterlager
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't think it's aztec. The spots are quite different. This is a medium sized neo and a prolific pupper on long stolens. I'd say it has compacta in it.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

My Aztec summer and Rosy aztec resembles your plant photo quite alot. Photos are decieving

• winterlager
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HDD, I appreciate your help. Does the inside turn red on anthesis like compacta?

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

WL, to me it also looks more probable to be some sort of a compacta/macwilliamsii mix - the almost straight line where the red blush end as well as the red sepals strongly suggest that. Where Aztec - as well as it's parents, macrosepala and Marcon - have all green sepals.

It is a very nice plant and were we on the same continent, I might have made a plan to get one from you. Now I will just have to try and make one! What did you cross it with?

Japie

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

WL, where did you grow that plant? In almost full sun? Compare the pup on your plant with this one:

Here is a link that might be useful: Neo Pacquito

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

winter Do you have any of Dale Kamerlohr's hybrids? After a few hours in the greenhouses I have one of his that llok closer than the original suggestion

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Japie, that "straight line" central red zone is not only a compacta/macwilliamsii feature, it's also characteristic of the olens complex, including camorimiana/fluminensis. The red sepals look to me like the influence of that group too, so your suggestion of Pacquito makes sense.

The only thing is Pacquito's parents can't be compacta and camorimiana, or where would the marmoration come from? Probably they meant macwilliamsii instead of compacta as the seed parent. The two are very similar in many respects, but macwilliamsii has faint marmoration that often comes out stronger in its hybrids. That combined with camorimiana would explain all of the traits seen in your plant, WL, including the long stolons, so unless somebody can come up with a better match, I'll go with that one.

• winterlager
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I saw Paquito and it has a similar look but is much more upright. That doesn't mean a lot though.

I got the neo from a Bromeliad society meeting from one of the members. It pups a lot so it has been widely distributed in our club anyway.

Japie, I don't know what I crossed it with exactly. It was either Portea, compacta, N. Judy's Anomoly or distachantha. Great records huh? For a few weeks there I was crossing anything and taking no notes until I got some seed from a billbergia and realized I really was going to be able to cross these things.

• winterlager
    Original Author
    15 years ago

BTW, does macwilliamsii self? I have one in bloom and it makes a great pollen parent, but I'd like to set some seeds on it too.

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Macwilliamsii doesn't self, at least I've never known it to.

WL, it's entirely possible that what you have is not a named or registered cross. There are a lot more of those out there than there are registered hybrids. I'm still betting that the parentage is something along those same lines, but it could be more complex than that.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Dale Kamerlohr's Neo. fluminensis x macwilliamsii looks very close to your plant WL

• winterlager
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HDD, I think I've met Dale a few times and it could well be a cross of his. fluminensis x macwilliamsii is sold by Michael's, so it could be in wide circulation here. Do you have a pic you can share?

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

WL mine bloomed out last year so all I have is pups right now and Michael is in the same boat ..pups only. Odd I never photo'd that plant. I have sevel of Dale's plants that I like. One of which went variegated last year and so are pups...its good looking hybrid

• bromadams
    14 years ago

I noticed this plant for sale last month and it was labeled 'Jill'. I asked around and the consensus is that it's an unregistered Bullis hybrid.

• bromadams
    14 years ago

And so Jill shows up on the Bullis web site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neo Jill

Sponsored
More Discussions