Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vriesea

Virus

vriesea
13 years ago

Hi all

I thought i would post this photo to show what Tobacco Mosaic Virus looks like ,this is on a Cymbidium Orchid ,but it gives you an idea of the effects ,

Jack

{{gwi:469752}}

Comments (6)

• User
    13 years ago

Jack, I learned the hard way years ago about this virus. You see, I'm a social pariah, a misfit, one of them...a smoker! Tomato plants and cymbidiums finally clued me in in that the tobacco/nicotine residue on my fingers was toxic. Hand washing took care of that problem, higher tobacco taxes will take care of the other.

• dooleybugs01
    13 years ago

Jack,
    I am attaching a couple photos of some seedlings half grown. They are neo. purple star x ? I am not panacking about viruses but do you think these may have a virus? Lisa may also have some input. Purple star's parentage is unknown so i am not sure if the markings are from one of it's parents or the pollen parent on this cross. Sometimes a seedling from a variegated parent may produce these markings.

{{gwi:469753}}

{{gwi:469754}}

{{gwi:469755}}

Dooley.

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

What markings are you refering to, Dooley? I don't see anything that looks viral in those. Purple Star's parentage may be unknown, but it's a Groves Hybrid, and streaks of hot color are what characterizes most of them.

• vriesea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Dooly , no mate there is no problem as Lisa said ,Grants hybrid Neo 's have that feature ,al is well
    Jack

• paul_t23
    13 years ago

Hi all,

I didn't want to add any more pathological material to Shane's Alcantarea thread, so Jack I'm glad you started this one. Lisa's pics in Shane's thread of that Neo. c. 'Tiger' with suspect markings immediately rang some bells for me, but it took me a while to track them down. This morning I realised what it was.

The following pic is of an Ae. orlandiana 'Snowflake' that until last weekend had been growing in deep shade, hence the green colour, but note the straight dark lines lengthways along some of the leaves
    {{gwi:469756}}

Close-up with light shining through from under the leaf
    {{gwi:469757}}

Those lines look an awful lot like those on that c. 'Tiger' of Lisa's, with what looks like a thin line of dead cells in the middle surrounded by a concentration of the dark purple pigment. They first turned up as a single line on the "great grandmother" of this plant and have been getting more numerous in each generation since. I think maybe it is time to bin this whole clump. Damn! After I've finally finally finally got my act into gear and tied a few to some trees! Ah well, at least I have plenty more plants of 'Snowflake' that were in separate clumps before this started.

I'd be really interested to see any more thoughts on what might be causing this type of marking.

Cheers, Paul

• vriesea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Paul ,if as you say the " grandmother " started with it ,and it is getting worse ? i think it may be time to destroy the clump , with Orchids i was always happy to kill 10 innocents rather than let one guilty one escape ,( smacks of Hitlerism hmmmm ? )and its not as if it will cost zillions to replace that plant ,it seems strange though that its still only on a couple of leaves ,but when its handed down along the pups ? then it does'nt matter what the pathogen is ,it 's pointless to keep the dashed thing ,there is a virus that is commonly known as " woody virus " it affects fruit etc and some plants and does cause dead streaks at random that go hard and " woody " it affects Passion fruit ,Manderins , etc ,and causes hard sections in the fruit ,and only affects a few here and there at first ,but over time the whole plant is doomed ,not very virulent ,

As i said before lets not go on witch hunts and panic ,the bulk of us and our plants never get affected ,and whats on your 'Snow flake " may never affect any other plant , if it would ? you'd know all about it by now ,
    Cheers Jack

Sponsored
More Discussions