Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matt15_gw

ID's please

matt15
13 years ago

Hi all,

I know i've come to the right place for less head scratching and more ID tag writing. So here goes:

The first one:

I've always considered this to be Aec Shining Light but now it has flowered i'm thinking otherwise. I know there are several forms very simular, does anybody know which one?

{{gwi:469773}}

{{gwi:469774}}

Second:

Can anybody confirm if this clump Aec Malva? I originally thought it was Mulfordii. I also know the flower is old but I thought it would be worth a try.

{{gwi:469775}}

Third:

I'm really confused but slowly learning here. My dad has several clumps which I believed to be Aec Orlandiana.

{{gwi:469776}}

{{gwi:469777}}

That was until I saw this today which I removed from his garden for photos and of course to take home :)

This to me looks like Aec Fosteriana but the inflorescence is more a purple than a red?

Can anybody help for an ID? It has been in a shaded area of his garden and receives no fertilizer. Another possibility is that the flower is old, hence the loss of redness with time.

{{gwi:469778}}

{{gwi:469779}}

Thank you in advance....

Matt

Comments (4)

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Matt, I'd only be guessing on the first one. There are a lot of similar hybrids, many of them made by Hummel (see link). I'm not seeing an obvious match, but I'm wondering if the berries on your plant may have started out red and white and then aged to solid red? An older inflorescence can be misleading in its coloration, and bracts that once were prominent can shrivel and fade, making it harder to ID. It may be someone else's cross too.

The last one is very stretched, but it does look like fosteriana to me. I see what you mean about the dark bracts, but look at the first photo for that species on FCBS. The bracts are fairly dark on that one too, so I suspect that trait may be somewhat variable.

Ae. Malva is a cultivar of mulfordii, but whether yours is the same clone I'm not sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: FCBS search results - Aechmeas - Hummel hybrids

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Hi Matt ,the only one i can help you with is the Ae fosteriana wich indeed it is ,some clones do have redder bracts and some are more brown ,but that occurs in many species ( variability ) as Lisa has stated before ,nature is not a cookie cutter , sorry but have no idea about the other 2 ,
    Jack

• matt15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lisa and Jack, thank you both for your responses.

Lisa as these plants aren't in my garden i'm not exactly sure how old the flower spike is. I hadn't considered the age factor for older inflorescence and loss of white for the first one.

And yes that makes a good point again for the last one which you both pointed out.

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi Matt,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you but I've been having trouble signing on for the last two days.

If that bit of purple leaf poking out the bottom of the first pic. belongs to that plant, I would say it's Ae 'Big Stuff'.

My plant has concoloured leaves and the berries are just starting to die off now after being a show of colour for months. It's also a very reliable flowerer and a good grower down here and likes a bit more shade than my other aechmeas.

All the best, Nev.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!
More Discussions