Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spanish moss growing in the UK

Posted by martyp (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 11:11

Hi all,
I love Spanish Moss and have been trying to get it to grow well the last few years. I have decided to try it in the back garden here in the UK during the summer. I understand in the wild it likes to grow on bald cypress and southern live oak trees which aren't readily available in the UK. I thought about using a dead branch of English oak (Quercus sp) instead as maybe the plant could get some nutrients from the run off like it might get in the wild?
I don't have a greenhouse or conservatory so normally just grow it in my living room and mist it frequently but would like it to grow as much as possible. I've also tried sumbersing it briefly in a bucket of water and it comes out green then leave it to dry off.
Has anyone got any good hints and tips for growing in the UK? Would the Oak tree branch be worth trying?

Many thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spanish moss growing in the UK

I grow SM here in the Fla. Keys where it does not grow natively. It will grow on most any tree that it is placed on, in fact almost any structure that will support it, so I don't know that putting yours on an oak branch is needed. Still I give you kudos for growing it so far from it's natural home.
Good luck, Scott

o

Hi Matyp,

I grow it here in Australia OK and like Scott says, it doesn't seem to matter what type of tree I grow it on. It seems to be the hardiest Tillandsia going and I even made a "wall" of it by threading small pieces through nylon bird netting on the side of a vege garden. It soon grew to make a rather dense wall of it which I can just pull handfulls from to give to friends.

I never water mine at all and the only water it gets is from natural rain or dew. I found when I did water it in the early stages it grew much slower than it does now and it seems to thrive on neglect.

All the best, Nev.

o

OMG I am visiting from the Florida Gardening forum and I got such a laugh out of this post! This stuff grows wild all over the south and I avoid it like the plague because it harbors CHIGGERS!!!! I took my son on a school outing to Brooker Creek a few months ago and got chiggers...I was miserable for a week! It's so funny to me how hard we floridians try to grow english roses and now I see people in englad growing spanish moss! LOL!!! The grass is always greener......

Here is a link that might be useful: Spanish Moss and Chiggers

o

I wish I could send you some of ours. I pulled armloads and armloads out of my mother's holly and crape myrtle trees yesterday. Filled a large garbage can with it. It is very pretty, but will choke out large sections of a tree when it covers the leaves and photosynthesis cannot occur. Many dead branches came down with the heavy, heavy Spanish moss.

Carol in Jacksonville

o

Hi Marty,

Did you ever grow your Spanish moss?

Larry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here