Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
why no xNeobergia

Posted by winterlager 10b (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 08 at 11:55

There is only one xNeobergia in fcbs. Is that because they aren't worth registering or what? I expect to have some on the way, so I'm a bit interested. Furthermore, can you use these bigenerics as pollen parents or even seed parents if you stick with the parent genera?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: why no xNeobergia

Better not count your chickens before they're hatched, WL. Bigenerics crosses don't take most of the time, although occasionally you'll get one that will. Certain combinations work better than others and certain species seem to be more receptive to a wide variety of pollen than others. Often the results tend to be pretty ugly, though, so the trick is to find a combination that is not only genetically compatible, but also esthetically pleasing.

I attempted several xNeobergias when I was first starting out, but only got one to take. I haven't registered it yet, and it's not a terribly commercial plant, but it does look better than the one that's on there. I've seen a few others too, but not many.

xNeobergia Beelzebub:

Photobucket

o

I did quite a few different neo crosses with La Noche and 2 selfs for reference. The selfs aren't taking, but all the others look good. This is based on swelling of the seed sack. I guess I'll have seed (or not) in 4-5 weeks. Now that I think it worked I'm wondering what I'm going to have. I don't really want to spend a lot of time growing ugly babies but with virtually no info on xNeobergia I can't image what they'll look like.

o

Sounds like they're taking. Next step is to see if they germinate. Sometimes they don't. What Neos did you put on there?

o

I used what I had, of course, not much thought went into it.

Puppy Love, Blushing Tiger and Granada crosses are looking good.

o

Lisa, just wonder how much variation you got in your Beelzebub grex. I assume Beelzebub is the best of the grex, but what kind of variations were there?

o

Jeez, it's been so long I can't remember what the rest of them looked like, or even if there were more than one or two seedlings. Sorry. :-(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here