Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catkim_gw

Do you recognize this Aechmea?

catkim
14 years ago

Heh heh, I presume it's an Aechmea.

{{gwi:41479}}

This is a long shot, sorry, it's the best pic I have. You can see the single flower framed in the lower 3rd window from the left. It was a ho-hum flower, after waiting four years for it! These are growing in full west-facing sun. The shady backside of these show some lilght horizontal banding and are greener. Bought at a Bird Rock Tropicals sale, unlabeled. Ideas?

Thanks for looking.

Kim

Comments (13)

• User
    14 years ago

Kim, I yanked one of those outta the ground when Pam moved a couple of years back, never did get around to ID'ing it.

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

Sorry Kim, cannot help you!

But on another point, it's nice to see some agapanthus and a plicatilla growing well for you! The agapanthus, is it the medium size one? If so, if you cut off those seed heads the moment they have done flowering, they can flower 3 to 5 times a year - that is if you are not interested in propagating those seeds!

Japie

• User
    14 years ago

I wonder if it's a form of A. ramosa?

• sdandy
    14 years ago

Haha, I can't offer any ID help, but I can give my standard offer of refuge if you ever need to pare down the clump.

Oh, and do you want to post the notice about the event for this weekend (since you even have an official role)?

See you Saturday!
    -andy

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    14 years ago

You,of the blessed climate Kim,Agapanthus? i wont even mention the Canna.
    Nice reed orchids.

• catkim
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gonzer, comparing with pix on fcbs I'd say it's not ramosa. I went through the whole photo database for Aechmea species and couldn't find a convincing match. Didn't go through the hybrids.

Japie, thanks, I get a lot of questions and compliments on the Aloe plicatilis. The agapanthus are offspring from some that came with the house many years ago, no idea which variety, but they bloom freely -- and re-seed freely. Thanks for the tip!

Hi Andy, I have yanked all these out and divided them, relocating some and potting up some for the sale. See you there. : )

• User
    14 years ago

Kim, I remember at Pam's old digs that she had a boatload of the one pictured below growing out front. When she moved all plants were $1 that you dug up. Does yours look anything like this?

{{gwi:470189}}

• catkim
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Why, yes, it does look like that. One and the same. But I paid rather a lot more than $1, this was well before The Final Sale.

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Kim,

It looks good, I don't have it, a wild guess does it look like Ae.Seneca off the FCBS site?

Cheers,

Rick

• User
    14 years ago

Rick, this plant keeps it's brown/gold color when grown in full sun. 'Seneca' looks to have much more colorful foliage.
    Kim, the reason the plants were $1 was due to the fact that the condition they were in was less than show-quality, kind of crapped out really.

• User
    14 years ago

Here;s the original group I planted at work Kim

{{gwi:470191}}

{{gwi:470192}}

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Even though it's faded, that inflorescence pic helps. Thanks, Gonz.

Kim, you say you ruled out all of the Aechmea species on FCBS. Did you rule out wittmackiana? I'm not saying it is, but it sure looks like it belongs in the distichantha/wittmackiana complex. That may not help much, as you can see if you read the link article.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Aechmea distichantha / wittmackiana Complex

• catkim
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Lisa. Of those shown in the article, Olwen's Query has the closest foliage match to my eye. The wittmackiana flower seems quite different. I agree it's the right complex.

It's a tough plant for full sun, making a big clump, as seen above, which makes it useful, but I'd like to put some in the shade, too. Might be prettier that way. Or humongously stretched!