Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
aechmea fasciata too much of smth?

Posted by petrushka (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 13:23

too much water? too much light?
the new leaves are tight and upright - so i figured it's getting enough light. but the leaves are wrinkled or folded somewhat?
what can be causing this? may be too much fertilizer? i sprinkled a few balls of osmocote on the soil.
and it's a rather large plant in 7" pot: triple + 2 pups going, so i've been making sure it does not dry up - keeping it moist.
also it looks like it's funnelling very tightly - hope of a bloom coming?
just wanted to add that i have 70% humidity and often higher, it's indoors in very sunny western window - but with some obstruction. so may be 3-4 hours of sun. and it's turned sideways - so sun was not directly hitting the middle of the crown.
also it's been on water-wick, laid on top of soil, so top-wicking for most of the year. for 2 mo in dec-jan there ws no water in the funnel, but since then i reg. fill it up with spring water.
so no water-stress, no humidity stress (both of which are referenced as a cause for wrinkles and tightening of the crown).
and it never happened before - had this plant for 5 years.
also 2 small 6"-7"pups are ok, not wrinkled, no funneling just reg crowns.

This post was edited by petrushka on Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 16:18

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: aechmea fasciata too much of smth?

This happens on many broms but usually just one plant not all the offspring. Nothing to worry about.

o

ok, so you saying it's not detrimental?
'cause i've been trying to give it more light and moisture in hopes that it will bloom. so far it produced pups after 4 years.. of fairly dry up-keep with moderate light (ne to west with sev hours of strong sun).
i mean. smth in culture caused it obviously. it's not quilling per se - it's just funnelling very tightly, but no glueing. i repositioned it so it'll get a little less hot sun, a bit more diffused and dappled as we get into summer.
i read that they sometimes pup right before blooming.
is that possible to have pups and no blooms?

o

Hi all - Pardon my ignorance, but can someone please tell this old bloke what "smth" means as I'm not really up on computer lingo?

All the best, Nev

o

Google says "something".
I didn't know either as I always type full words.

o

sorry, if i confused you. i don't abbreviate a lot, but sometimes. it's rather common. it's one of the few words i shorten. another one is prolly=probably.
one of my funneling (tunneling?) plants in the pic above is producing a bloom! i can see it in the cup. what a relief!

This post was edited by petrushka on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 15:32

o

both 5 yr old pups are blooming finally. i am so relieved. and two new pups (one on each) are growing well too.
the cluster is about 3' wide.

This post was edited by petrushka on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 21:29

o

Looks great. They do look good in a clump.
Keep water in the tank and might help with the tunneling.

o

Plt lks OK t me

o

i thought it's not good to keep water in the tank with the bloom there? i read to put water in adjacent leaves only until the bloom goes. is that not so?

o

That is not so.

o

ok, i'll put some water in the cup too.
are you saying, put reg amt of water as usual?
searched again.
found mentioning that small amt in the cup at flowering is ok.
i normally put some spring water in the cup/leaves about once ev 7-10 days.
should i continue as normal, or put a little less then normal in the cup?

o

Not sure if you have the space or climate for it, but mine do really well outside. We get a fair amount of rain so when they're outside I literally do nothing for them with the exception of a little fertilizer twice a month. They seem to grow pretty quick this way.

o

I've had mine (or divisions of it really!) since 1970, and it is a favorite of mine. I have always kept water in the cups, which is more important than the soil, I think. Occasionally I give it fertilizer, diluted, in the cups. I have a lot of orchids and African violets, so it gets leftovers. Or rather THEY get leftovers. Buds coming up now. Love 'em!

o

wow, since 70s? that's impressive!
i have lots of plants, including av's and phals and lots of aroids: anthuriums, caladiums, thai ag, caladiums, alocasias.. lots of ficuses, some ferns..it's a long list.
my balcony is reserved for stuff that absolutely cannot survive without outdoors, like citrus, jades, ivies, amaryllis, crotons, begonias.
since my broms do quite all right indoors, all things considered.. - that's where they'll have to stay.
i am in nyc (across the hudson actually) in a high-rise, so all in all it's quite a challenge :).
here's a shot in the evening of a very stuffed window...

o

petrushka - I grow all of my brom's either in the garden or under shade cloth and I've always watered overhead with all of my brom's so they get water in the mix, in the leaf axils and in the central vase as well.

I always water in the early morning on the rising temperature and in really hot summer weather I will mist everything late in the afternoon when the sun has gone down.

They get their water in habitat from overhead, so who am I to change what Mother Nature has been doing forever.

For people growing plants inside their homes, cultural methods will be different , but I have no experience with this.

In the pic are Ae. fasciata rubra (front) and (at the rear) Ae. fasciata var. purpurea in flower

All the best, Nev.

o

fabulous!
i can only dream about growing stuff like that - that is ...having space outside.
but the dream is getting closer...so i am preparing.
what are those spotted broms left and center?

o

The spotted broms left and center are Aechmea orlandiana. They are easy to grow, like lots of sun, and tend to bloom for me during the winter months.

Paul

o

paul,
do they bloom in winter indoors? in a greenhouse then?

o

May I have a pup of the silver urn for postage?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here