Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How should I separate this pup from the parent?

Posted by jkrup44 9B FL (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 6, 09 at 14:33

Hi. I am fairly new to bromeliads. I just bought this beautiful one and I noticed it has a pup growing from the side. I would like to separate it and grow it in another pot, but I haven't tried it before. I really do not want to harm either the pup or the parent. How should I go about doing this? Is there a lot of risk that the pup could die if I try to separate it? Would anyone care to ID this bromeliad? Thanks!
Josh

100_0001

100_0002

100_0003

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How should I separate this pup from the parent?

Hi Josh,
Your plant is one of many thousands of beautiful variegated Neoregelias, as for its specific name, sorry I can't help you but maybe someone else here can.

As for the pup, I would say at this stage it's too small for removal. I personally like to let them get at least half the size of the mother before I remove them but I know of many other growers who remove them earlier.

You're probably better speaking to growers in you own area who could better advise you about what's best in your environment.

Also, you can use the search engine on this forum to find lots of info. on pup removal.

All the best, Nev.

o
RE: How should I separate this pup from the parent?

Ok, I appreciate the info Nev. I'll just give it a bigger pot and wait until the pup is bigger to remove it. Thanks!
Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here