Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this pup big enough to remove to grow on its own?

Posted by acce (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 30, 10 at 15:46

Or should I wait another week? I just noticed this after I bought the plant at lowes.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this pup big enough to remove to grow on its own?

I think you may have to wait more than a week for that one ,i would wait till its one third the size of the mother plant,
Jack

o

Ditto. I'd be inclined to give it another month or two. Guzmanias can be a bit tricky for some people to root successfully, so I'd wait until it's at least half the size of the mother.

o

Lisa: I read your post "half the size of the mother". But may I ask, half the "height" or the "width" of the mother?

In the above photo, I see that the pup is almost as tall as the mother!

Thanks for your clarification.

Xuan

o

Half the overall mass, Xuan. You can't go strictly by either height or width, as that can be misleading, but you're looking for enough bulk to survive on its own. Maybe half the amount of leaves would be a better measure.

Of course if you see roots on a pup that's another sign that it is probably large enough to remove, but you're not likely to see that on Guzmanias. They don't tend to form roots before removal, unless you let them get REALLY big (as big as the mother). That's why they can be a bit more difficult to root than some other genera, particularly for people who live in cooler, drier climates. For us in the tropics, it's usually not a problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here