Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
long overdue posting

Posted by bromeliaddict z6 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 7, 10 at 16:48

Between my moving the collection out to the shade house, and my "other life", it's been challenging just to keep up with any of the recent postings. Mother Nature was kind here during April, and a lot of broms went out early this year. Then we got two consecutive nights of "freeze warnings" on May 8 & 9, and things got real busy. Fortunately, the actual lows only got down to 1.5C, but it stayed really chilly for the next 3 days, only getting to about 10C. The weather is finally settling into an early summer pattern now. Plants are taking on some nice colors, and I'm getting a little more time to enjoy things!

Here are a few recent photos of interest:
Neo 'Small Wonder'
Neo. 'Small Wonder'

Vriesea Herb Hill hybrid
Vriesea Herb Hill hybrid

Billbergia 'Hallelujah'
Bill. 'Hallelujah'

Neo. 'Jaio Marcio' x cyanea MK #N320- a hybrid from Michael Kiehl
Neo. 'Jaio Marcio' x cyanea MK #N320

...and one of my hybrids- Vr. 'Sunset' x 'Little Chief'
Vr. 'Sunset' x 'Little Chief'

I'll have more photos to share as time allows.

Paul in Michigan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: long overdue posting

Hi Paul ,that Neo " Small Wonder " looks a dead ringer for the Grace Goode hybrid " Break of Day " ,nice dark foliage on your Vriesea hybrid ,

Jack

o

Hi Paul,

It sounds like you're over the coldest of the weather and its all good from now on. I like the pic's, but most of all I love your hybrid vriesea with the dark foliage, congratulations!

Thanks for sharing and keep 'em coming.

All the best, Nev.

o

Hi Paul

Yea we had a bad winter this year. It just makes spring more welcome. Its always fun moving out for the summer. Great looking plants and your Vriesea hybrid is special with the dark foliage.

Enjoy the summer Bob

o

Paul,

I like your cross Vr. 'Sunset' x 'Little Chief', it is interesting to look at the parents and see what you ended up with.

Thanks,

Rick

o

Jack,
Your observation makes sense. They're both Grace Goode hybrids, and share at least the same seed parent ('Maid of Honour'). According to the Cultivar Registry, the pollen parent is not declared for either hybrid. It's possible that they are grex mates?

Thanks to all for your kind comments on the Vriesea hybrid.

Paul

o

Nice work on the Vr. 'Sunset' x 'Little Chief' Paul. Always an exciting time in the garden as the weather starts to warm up so hope you enjoy it.

cheers
Kristan

o

That Joao Marcio x cyanea cross certainly favors the cyanea side, doesn't it? I'm not seeing Joao in there anywhere. Interesting.

o

Lisa,
I should get a photo with the side view. There's a hint of banding, enough to validate the Joao-Marcio parentage. You're right, though, the flowers and fingernails sure do scream N. cyanea!

o

Hi Paul ,yes i think they are grex mates , there is also a "close of day "
Jack

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here