Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiboinhp

Are these Vrieseas tillers ?

tiboinhp
13 years ago

Hi everybody,

I'm the happy owner of a Vriesea since March. When I bought it, it was almost flowering. After research on the net, I've found out that this plant only flowers once but that I can have other flowers if I succeed to grow its tillers.

The fact is, I don't know what they look like as it's the first time I try to propagate a Bromeliad.

In the lower part of the leaves, between the first and the second ring, I do see 3 packs of new leaves, but I don't know if they are from tillers or not. Could you help me?

The picture shows one of the 3 "packs" I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance!

Thibaut

Here is a link that might be useful: picture for an ID ( sorry, I only had my Deviantart profile to put it )

Comments (5)

• avane_gw
    13 years ago

Thibaut
    That 'pack' is a new baby making its appearance! Let them grow to about half the size of the mother plant before you attempt to remove them and pot them up seperately. You could also just leave them and let your plant grow into a clump. I do not think that your plant is a Vr splendens. That has got wide black cross bands on the leaves and its pups (as we call the new plants forming) also appear in the center of the plant next to the inflorescence and is also much more difficult to remove.

Good to know that there are some bromeliads alive and well and growing in France!

Japie

• tiboinhp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great ! Thanks a lot, Japie !

Well, yes, you can buy and maintain well-grown bromeliads in France but I don't know if I'll be successful in growing the pups ( thanks for the vocabulary, by the way ).

In fact I'm studying horticulture in a college and I like to test few plants and try to propagate them. I've begun with Kalanchoës and a Stapelia variegata which are quite easy to propagate for a beginner.

Once the pups are tall enough, I guess I'll have to remove the lower leaves of the mother and try to take as many roots as i can? I'd like to pot them separately.

Thank you again!

Thibaut

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Hi Thibuat ,welcome to the forum, your plant is definitely not Vr Splendens , however a vriesea it is , do not expect roots on your " pup " when you take it off , and it is not nessecary to have them anyway ,cut it of close to the mother plant using a sharp knife , let the cut dry ( if you wish ) for a Day and then pot up in a free draining mix , it will make roots and grow and the mother will make at least on more pup ,however here on this forum you can get almost anything answered ,solved or otherwise taken care of ,so keep in touch ,
    Jack

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi Thibaut,

I seee that you registered with the GW in Feb but I don't recall seeing any posts from you until now. However, welcome to our group anyway, it's good to have another member from France.

I thought you may also be interested to know that we do have another member from France by the name of lucius_13 so maybe you could make contact somehow and compare notes about brom's.

All the best, Nev.

• tiboinhp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi!

Thanks for all your replies! That's true, I'm not much involved in the forum since I'm registered: my studies still take me a lot of time and I don't have many occasions to manipulate plants by myself, which is to me the interest of such forum.

I once went to the plants diseases section, but had no other opportunities to be much involved, as I believe I'm not skilled enough to help yet...

For all those who wonder wich spiecies is my bromeliad, I think it finally is a Vriesea tiffany.

Anyway, it's a pleasure to be welcomed this way and I hope I will have occasions to bring my own participation to the other bromeliads fans!

All the best, Thibaut

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor