This is a f2 of Brittle star

{{gwi:472100}}

Dyckia estevesii

{{gwi:472101}}

Brittle Star f2s left and right

{{gwi:472102}}

Dyckia Snowball top left, top right Arctic Summer, bottom two Brittle Star f2s

{{gwi:472103}}

two plants top left Dyckia Avalanche,top right Arctic summer, bottom left marnier-lapostollei and right it's var. estevesii

{{gwi:472104}}

this is a plant that came from Bill Baker don't know what it is. Anyone got an idea?

{{gwi:472105}}

plant on right another Brittle Star f2,bottom left Avalanche above it Arctic Summer

{{gwi:472106}}

Dyckia Ice Follies

{{gwi:472107}}

top left Avalanche top right Confetti, bottom two small clumps fosteriana Silver Queen

{{gwi:472108}}

three seedlings of marnier-lapostollei var. estevesii X Brittle Star F2 still to young to tell what they will be.

{{gwi:472109}}

this is a plant from a cross I thought I made of marnier -lap var. estevesii X Fosteriana silver queen but when it bloomed it spiked out of the center. I did have the small Encholirium angelita in bloom at the time but it was in another part of the yard. I had another plant to do this out of the same grex but it made pups all around it instead of puping out of the top. I have to say I wasn't watching when all this was going on. I'll be more diligent next bloom cycle. any comment on this is welcome.

Best Bob

Comments (5)

• bromadams
    13 years ago

Great plants, I'm definately looking for more quality Dyckias. I did one cross this year but I need better material before I can cross anything worthwhile.

• bryan69
    13 years ago

Hey Bob, I had a Dyckia chocolate do the same thing to me with a bloom out of the center. Don't know what caused it.

• paul_t23
    13 years ago

Hi Bob,

What a great show! I became hooked by Dyckias just a few months ago and have managed to get my hands on four nice ones so far, so seeing that lot of yours is just inspirational. They are some seriously nice plants that you have there and those silver-white ones are just sensational.

I'd be really interested to find out what sort of lighting conditions you grow yours under. My first purchase was a lovely siver marnier-lapostollei which I promptly overcooked. I let it re-hydrate for a few days after receiving it in the mail then thought "strong light", so I put it in a spot where it received full sun from around 8.30am to midday. This was in late summer and two weeks later the leaves had fluted so much that they had completely closed. I moved it into a shadehouse with 50% shade and it has survived and new growth is just starting to open out, but there is no sign of the older fluted leaves opening out again, so it looks like I've managed to pretty much ruin the really nice form of the plant for quite some time.

The three others that I've bought since then are sitting next to the recovering m-l and look OK so far, but any information you can give me on lighting conditions would be greatly appreciated! I had though that these plants were adapted for strong sun desert conditions, but obviously there is something else happening here.

Cheers, Paul

• hotdiggetydam
    13 years ago

Great plants Bob. Like I said in another post the whites and silvers are hard to come by in the market place.

• sdandy
    13 years ago

Wow, nice job on growing the D. estevesii so well. And upright. That is a beautiful specimen. Great looking plants.
    -andy

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm
More Discussions