Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aveo5

Giant 'FireBall'....and 'Puyas'?

aveo5
12 years ago

I figured I would combine the 2 questions. I got a 'Giant Fieball' last spring. This spring it is now in full bloom, in 4 of the 6 pups it put out in one season! I never knew Fireball plants bloomed. They are tiny clumps of flowers way down in the center. But to keep it red, I have it in full sun all day. It is only spring,and now it has sunburn on it! A few spots have 'burns', I dont want more sunburn, but I dont want a green FireBall either.

If I move it to ANY shade, it goes back to green FAST! Does anyone know the sun 'cut off time' for this bromeliad that will keep it RED? Anyone else growing it, and having good luck keeping it RED?

Now, what are these Puyas that I keep finding all over EBay, but only as seeds? Never any plants. They say they are HUGE plants and the flower stalks are giants and very interesting,....I would especially like to grow one called 'Black Sapphire'....but all I find are seeds for a 'Blue' variety.

I finally saw a plant of these on the internet, and they look like 'air plants'. I thought they would be have huge leaves and giant cups. Does anyone know of a company that sells PLANTS of these Puyas? NOT seeds. Unless these seeds are huge and easy to grow? I have only found plants in Australia for sale! The price and shipping is WAY to much.

So...hows that for 2 odd questions? And is anyone growing these Puyas? Are they worth it? Can they be easily grown by seed? Do they mature fast? I imagine they are like poppy sized seeds. but maybe they are more like coffee bean sized? That would be great! So...anyone with some advise? Thank you.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions