Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginibee_gw

Bromeliad IDs

ginibee
13 years ago

I lurk here a lot to view the pictures all of you post of some outstanding bromeliads. I'm just a casual collector and most times what I get don't have names. I know I've come to the right place to try and get IDs for these.

{{gwi:472463}}

Both of the following if possible.

{{gwi:472465}}

{{gwi:472466}}

Thank you in advance and thank you all for posting such fantastic pictures.

Ginny

Comments (16)

• rickta66
    13 years ago

Ginnie,

Your first one may be Neo. Gespacho and your 2nd looks a little like Neo. Gunpowder.

I'm glad to see that you ventured out of lurkerland.

Rick

• graykiwi
    13 years ago

Hi Ginny
    I agree with Rick for 'Gespacho', though not 100% on the Variegated one being Gunpowder ? It does look similar, though would have thought Gunpowder to have wider leaves than yours ? There are many hybrids that look similar to this. The dark red one will be impossible for anyone to name sorry, there are many old hybrids around that look like this.
    Cheers
    Graeme

• dooleybugs01
    13 years ago

Hi Ginny,
    I also agree with the first one to be neo. Gespacho, the variegated one i think is neo. Blood Plum and possibly the black/red one is neo. Midnight.
    Hope this helps
    Dooley.

• neomea
    13 years ago

I reckon the vari one is a Skotak hybrid!!! LOL. Ok seriously, Neo Lorena would be my guess.

• graykiwi
    13 years ago

Yep I reckon you are pretty close with Neo. 'Lorena' Dennis.
    Not sure I've seen 'Midnight' look red like that though Dooley ? Both cultivars by the same name (Goode and Wurthmann) are quite charcoal/black in colour with greenish tinges and spotting on the Grace Goode variety. It's more likey to be 'Red of Rio' or one of the 100's of similar red leaved hybrids - as I said, impossible to be sure or even speculate on that one.

• ginibee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all so much. I think the variegated one is showing some of the cold damage from our unusually cold winter.

I'll keep lurking to view your beauties. I love looking at your garden setups too.

Ginny

• hotdiggetydam
    13 years ago

The variegated plant is one of Chesters but....the 3 plants it could possibly be are variable based on temperature, fertlizer and light. The plant is well grown but since I grow many of his plants I would just tag it Skotak for now.

• pinkbroms
    13 years ago

Hi Guys

The Variegated plant is most likely Neo. Mauve Star.

Pinkbroms

• hotdiggetydam
    13 years ago

Chester looked at the photo and said it was either Lorena or Picasso. Hard to tell even for him. Grow the pups hard and the color will come out. Then you will have an answer.
    Mauve star as far I know it not grown in the USA yet ..since it was released in Australia.

• neomea
    13 years ago

Ha from the horses mouth-nice HDD!

Ginny no, its not cold damage, if grown hard the dark purple is much more prevalent.

Cheers

D

• malleeaustralia
    13 years ago

welcome to posting Ginny, With Chester 'lurking' lol, I wont add any comments to the IDs as I reckon you wont get a better source than that but welcome aboard and dont go back to hiding. Forums only work if well share and we all enjoy seeing each other pics so keep em coming.

cheers
    Kristan

• ginibee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all your welcomes too. Like I said, I'm just a casual collector for broms that appeal to me, so I'm not too particular about names although it would be nice to know what they are. I don't know why the growers don't put a name on them (if they know), but from reading some of the posts I can see that's impossible too.

Ginny

• hotdiggetydam
    13 years ago

I sent the picture to Chester to see if my ID's were correct before I posted

• fdnpedro
    13 years ago

Hi Ginny, it might depend where the plants were purchased as names mentioned like Gunpowder, Blood Plum and Mauve Star were registered by me in Australia. I'd go with a USA registration like Lorena, but, like all Neos, conditions will determine shape and colour as HDD said. Chester made, and still is making, lots of nice variegates and many are similar, so don't lose tags!
    Cheers, Pedro

• noid.guest
    13 years ago

Could #1 be Big Band... based purely on photo on fcbs

• noid.guest
    13 years ago

..Well, I guess not really if I looked it one more time. Sorry. S.

Sponsored
More Discussions