Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19765985

a couple of mystery Tills

User
13 years ago

This is a plant from Kent's nursery via Birdrock that remains unidentified but shows tenuifolia characteristics. Close to Isley's 'Cabo Frio' but smaller and doesn't know which way to grow.

The second is an old hybrid of Mark Dimmitt's with, supposedly, streptophylla in it. This will be it's first bloom in 15 years.

{{gwi:472765}}

{{gwi:472766}}

Comments (7)

• bromadams
    13 years ago

I'm not seeing much streptophylla. Can we assume that streptophylla wasn't the seed parent?

• fdnpedro
    13 years ago

Hi Gonzer, the first could be T. burle-marxii, but the bloom will tell! The second could have ionantha in it, kinda like a Nidus. I prefer the species! Cheers, Pedro

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, I don't see any strepto either and I know it's not x nidus. It is amazingly slow though.
    Peter, it's not burle-marxii as I have that plant. These leaves are very tight and somewhat succulent. I didn't train it to grow the way it is, it acts like a spoiled teenager.

• fdnpedro
    13 years ago

Neat simile Gonzer. Another option is the more rigid-foliaged T. araujei var. minima, just like the larger versions but in miniature. Grows near the Rio BG on Gavea Rock along with Vr brassicoides and T brachyphylla in particular on some of the sheer rock walls. Cheers, Pedro

• bob61
    13 years ago

Hi Gonzer The top plant looks kinda like the tenuifolia Fred Lenert that is in Paul Isleys' new book. I know you have that book So I'm guessing that is not it. You may have a one of a kind which is not a bad thing. It would be nice if it would bloom.
    The second one looks like a plant Paul Isley sold here as ionantha apretado which turned out not to be that. It looks just like that plant. It hardly ever blooms and just keeps on growing. I'm in the same boat as you, don't know what it is.I will post a pic. of it later on.
    Best Bob

• bob61
    13 years ago

Hi Gonzer Here are the pics. The the bloom does look a bit different than your plant.

{{gwi:472767}}

{{gwi:472768}}

Not to sure they are the same.

Best Bob

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bob, that really looks close. When the flowers open we'll have to see in what position the stamens are (on both our plants). The funny thing about the form of ionantha 'Apretado' is that other people may call it 'Hand Grenade'. Your plant has characteristics of x Nidus but has a much tighter growth habit and less blush. I like yours much better.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone
More Discussions