Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltecato

Hechtia tillandsioides or what?

ltecato
13 years ago

I just got a small pot full of spineless broms ID'd as H. tillandsioides. Is this name still valid or has it been changed to H. lundelliorum or something else? I want to plant these on a mostly dry, partly shaded hillside here in SoCal. I can't find much info on this plant, but I think it grows in that sort of habitat in Mexico, based on what I've read.

Comments (9)

• sdandy
    13 years ago

That is still a valid species. The confusion was a nursery was selling H. lundelliorum plants labeled as tillandsioides for a while and now has to advertise that what they sold as tillandsioides is actually lundelliorum.

It really depends on what the hillside is. Hillsides can have vastly different soil composition, but as long as it gets watered it should be fine in SoCal. Most hechtias like more water (during the growing season) than people think. So keep an eye on the plants to watch for any signs of being stressed by not having enough water.

A picture should help a lot, but H.l. is much bigger than H.t. H.t. also seems to be a lot more of a clumper. There is also a spineless hybrid of H.t. crossed with 'argentea' that has much more of a defined/symmetric rosette that is quite different than H.l. or H.t.
    -andy

• texaskelley
    12 years ago

Does anyone have any info on what type of soil to plant Hechtia Lundelliorum in? I just ordered one and was planning to plant it in a wicker basket (hung sideways) like my other epyphites, but don't know if it will do well in sphagnum moss like my staghorn and my orchid planted similarly are in, or if a cactus mix would be better. Any advice would be appreciated. It will be outdoors in the Texas heat...

• hotdiggetydam
    12 years ago

Hi texaskelley
    I am in Texas too. I grow several hechtia but I have never seen lundelliorum. Maybe Andy will shed some light on this if he comes by and reads the post. All my hechtia drink alot of water in the growing season and with this horrific heat its almost where I water some twice a day. I use the same mix on them as I do the dyckia.

• texaskelley
    12 years ago

What kind of mix is it? I'm mostly worried about using something too fine or sandy, since lundelliorum is an epyphite and I plan on growing it as such, and I'm sure it needs something substantial for the roots to cling to.

I suppose I should mention that this is my first bromeliad, too. I'm excited to expand my already schitzophrenic collection, but any help I can get with the new species is appreciated!
    ~AOK

• hotdiggetydam
    12 years ago

The mix I use is similar to cactus mix. The epyphite I grow I attach to wood with fishing line and cover with spanish moss to make a more natural appearance.
    What part of Texas are you in? I am coastal southeast .

• texaskelley
    12 years ago

Right now we're in College Station, but we're looking for a permanent residence near Houston, just out in the country a bit. After living in St. Louis, MO we have firmly decided that we are NOT city people :)

I have seen staghorn ferns mounted on wood, as you said, but I had mine in a wicker basket hung on it's side (until recently; it wasn't holding moisture long enough for the heat down here) and really liked how it looked. It accomplished the same thing as a wooden mount but it was just different.

The heat/humidity is basically the same as Missouri, just more...intense. I'm playing the adjustment game with all the plants that made the move with me. I'm super excited about all the new things I can grow down here that would never have made it outside in St. Louis!
    ~AOK

• hotdiggetydam
    12 years ago

Yeah College Station is hotter and colder in the seasons than here. Well if you don't include the last 2 extemely cold winters (were not normal at all here). Lots of places around Houston to live. I am 30 miles from the coast.

• sdandy
    12 years ago

Some of the finely serrulate (effectively 'spineless') Hechtias are accidental epiphytes, but their natural/preferred habitat is vertical (or nearly so) cliffs (lundelliorum, tillandsioides, and I'm also assuming caerulea). They definitely need 'soil-like' mixes that will hold enough moisture. After seeing them growing on vertical faces I though they would look awesome growing sideways out of a hanging basket...so I tried one in a woven-vine basket and I couldn't keep it moist enough. Since then I moved it into a hanging pot with holes cut out the side and it is growing much better.

Like many of the Hechtias growing on vertical faces they have deep roots. But H. lundies seem to have finer roots that seem to like to run deep rather than wide (unless the pot restricts that). Moisture is always going to be key!

• texaskelley
    12 years ago

Thanks, Andy! You've answered my question, AND given me a few ideas, which is always great.

I have a basket laying around that my oncidium orchid used to live in, so I think I'll try that and just water my H. lundelliorum every day or two if need be. If that doesn't seem to cut it I'll definitely try your pot idea. I only have plants in conainters since the move to TX, so I've been keeping a close eye on all of them.

Thanks again!
    ~AOK

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals
More Discussions