Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haxuan

Please help ID

haxuan
14 years ago

Are these bromeliads or tillandsias? Could you please help me ID them?

Many thanks for your help.

{{gwi:473499}}

{{gwi:473500}}

{{gwi:473501}}

Xuan

Comments (10)

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

They are all Cryptanthus, haxuan. The first one is C. 'Elaine'. I don't know the other two.

BTW, Tillandsias are bromeliads too.

• haxuan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, lisa.

Xuan

• pinkbroms
    14 years ago

Hi Xuan

I have the second one as Crypt. Waterfall, don't know the third one, I have it, but also with-out a name.

Tillandsia's are a bromeliad, even though a lot of people say "I grow bromeliads & Tillandsia's", as though tillandsia's are some other type of plant.

Tillandsia's, along with Alcantarea, Catopsis, Glomeropitcairnia, Guzmania, Mezobromelia, Racinaea, Vriesea & Werauhia are in the Tillandsioideae sub tribe of the familly Bromeliaceae.

Pinkbroms

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Xuan,
    Even without names, the first two in particular are still "beauts", and thanks for showing us.

All the best, Nev.

• blue_heeler
    14 years ago

The second one, I believe, is White lace.

• pinkbroms
    14 years ago

Hey Blue Heeler

As they're both the same cross, I think we would need to grow them side by side to really be sure of which is which, as my plants look the same as Xuan's photo also. Growing conditions make a lot of difference also, ie: broader leaves or narrower, Crypt. Waterfall appears to have broader leaves than Crypt. White Lace, but ???, this is why there needs to be an extremely obvious amount of difference between plants with the same parentage (grex) before I split & give another name. My waterfalls do vary in the amount of silver barring they get from pup to pup, so this also could make I.D harder. ?????

Xuan, it would probably be safer putting both names on your label with a ??? for now. I'll do the same, pending further investigation.

My plants came from Margaret Patterson of Gympie, about 10yrs ago, so I'm confident they are labeled correctly.

From the same cross done by Grace Goode in 1982 we also have Crypts. - Cheers*, Green Fields, Silver Touch*, Spic'n Span* + the 2 in discussion, only a couple have photo's available so if anybody has photo's of the others (*) please forward.

Pinkbroms

• haxuan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you very much, Pinkbroms for the IDs. I will tag them as you suggested.
    Oh, maybe I was not well-informed about the fact that tillandsias are a sub-group of bromeliads. In my mind, bromeliads are "potted" and tillandsias/air plants are "hung" plants... LOL! Thanks for clarifying.
    I've already potted the first two plants, C. Elisa and C. Waterfall. But I haven't potted the third one yet... for the reason above.
    Shoud I pot it, too? I use chopped tree fern for my plants.

Xuan

• pinkbroms
    14 years ago

Hi Xuan

Your third plant also is a Cryptanthus, just don't know which one, so yes pot it also, as all Crypts. are terrestrial, meaning they must be supported by a soil medium as opposed to growing in trees (epiphytic).

Also Xuan, a lot of Tillandsia's will grow in pots quite happily, so there is something for you to experiment with & report your results one day.

Don't forget a lot of Tillandsia's are cliff dwellers so there roots are in the ground & hanging on to rock faces.

I believe Paul Isley has a new book on its way, so keep an eye out for it.

Whenever I get a new book I look more closely at the habitat photo's rather than just read the text, this gives a better indication of the environment the plant needs to be grown in.

Crypts. do tend to like a more moist environment, so keep an eye on how quick your mix dries, you may need to add something to it, to help it retain moisture ie: coco peat, sphagnum moss etc., a little more soil based for Crypts.

Your chopped tree fern will be O.K for your Tillandsia experiment.

All the best growing.

Pinkbroms

• haxuan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pinkbroms, thank you very much for valuable advice regarding crypenthes growing. I can now grow these plants with more confidence.

I will definitely update results of these plants.

Xuan

• gardenlover25
    14 years ago

The photo is so cute and I think they belong to the Bomeliad family. I have attached a link on the types of Bromeliad.

Here is a link that might be useful: types of bromeliad

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?
More Discussions