Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ckjudd

Bromeliad ID Help

ckjudd
10 years ago

I just recently id this as a bromeliad. Through the threads thus far I have learned about their care, pups and such.

These sit at the front corner of my trailer and get morning sun and some brief evening sun as it sets. (The pic could have been better if the cup had been flushed and I had sat and picked out the oak leaves. It has since been flushed and looks much better.) Believe these could be clumps of pups as the first year I lived here I took out one plant that appeared to have died. (before I knew the mother plant died). The margins are sharp with little like thorns. I have 2 other pics that I will post.

I want to say thanks for any help in identifying this brom in advance.

Cindy

Comments (14)

• ckjudd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Second view....

• ckjudd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Third view......

Again thanks in advance for any help in identifying this brom.

Cindy

• gonzer_gw
    10 years ago

Those are plants of the genus Neoregelia and they look like they're doing good.

• ckjudd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Gonzer.

Do these have deep roots? I would like to seperate them just a bit in order to have them fill in the corner of the bed they are sitting in but am worried about damaging the roots when I do. The clump with the bright red looks to be 3 plants and the other looks to be 4.

Thanks again for your help.

Cindy

• foreverlad
    10 years ago

Most Bromeliad roots are 'advantageous roots'. They're more for latching on for stabilization than for nourishment. Broms are quite easy to dig up and transplant. Just be cautious when replanting, you don't want the base of the plant below the soil line. If the soil around the plant retains too much moisture (and the plant is a little buried) you could lose some of the outer leaves from rot.

Mike

• ckjudd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike- Thanks. I'm hoping to space them out in the next couple days then. The area is sandy so I will make sure to amend just a bit and use a few small sticks to brace so they stay up right. I'll repost pics after just for my own verification as a newbie.

Again thank Mike and Gonzer

Cindy

• foreverlad
    10 years ago

No problem, Cindy.

In my experience, one of the safest, easiest ways to prop up broms (be it pots or the yard) is to buy a bag of those cheap wooden skewers. They're only like a buck for a bag of them.

Situate the plant where you want it. Take a skewer, line it up where two leaves meet, and then push it down into the ground. Depending on the size and shape of your brom, you might want to use 3 or 4 skewers.

After 1-3 months, you can safely remove all the skewers, as the plant will likely have adapted to it's location and should be capable of holding itself upright.

Good luck, and be sure to show us some post-reno photos!

Mike

• ckjudd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the skewer idea. I have some in the kitchen and will do that before the possible rains that are expected..

I got the group from the left in the first pic above seperated this morning......(cleared out all the leaves and acorn caps, and watered in the cups from my ac run off).

From what I got am I correct that it could be that I have 2 mothers and 4 pups or Is it possibly 2 older pups and 4 younger pups? As stated earlier I did pluck out a dead plant in 2011 when I moved here.

2 other pics forth coming

Cindy

• ckjudd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pic 2

• ckjudd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pic 3

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Cindy

• foreverlad
    10 years ago

Looking good! Honestly, there's so little difference between a mother and a pup.

Usually, a brom will flower and then start setting out pups. Once a brom flowers, it'll never produce another leaf and it's slowly on its way to dying. During the slow decline, it can produce multiple sets of pups, and sometimes those pups will themselves have pupped before mom dies.

One word of warning: Broms pup easily. As nice as a bromeliad border will be, you might want to pull them back a bit from the edge. There's no telling in what direction(s) the pups might spawn. You might have neos falling over the edge of your pavers by this time next year.

Mike

• ckjudd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow...I really have an accomplished feeling! This is my first successful florida trans-plant for this 'florida trans-plant'.

I had just expanded that bed by about 3 inches in the week previous to my making OP. They are growing so well in that corner of the bed was just going to work on keeping them there, not ready to expand them as a full boarder. I will move them back just a bit as you have suggested to give them just a bit more room.

Would it be best to wait until the one that is flowering to finish flowering to make the seperation on it? If memory serves this was in bloom last summer also.

Looking forward to posting before and after pic when it has all come together with the whole yard.

Thanks again for you help and kind words :)

Cindy

• foreverlad
    10 years ago

Cindy,

General rule of thumb: don't remove pups until they're 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the momma. Otherwise, feel free to remove them anytime, flower or not.

You're obviously interested in expanding your collection, so splitting plants is a good idea. Just be aware, there are times when a bunched plant (mom + attached pups) can be it's own botanical showcase.

I'm in the middle of remodeling my own little Bromeliad corner of the yard, so I was revisiting this subforum for some ideas and pics. Looks like I timed it right! Glad I could help, and I appreciate you sharing your photos with us.

Mike

• ckjudd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would definately be interested in expand at some point. My first order of business was to figure out what was here, how it grows and do I want to keep it. The only thing I planted the first yr. was some Caladium under the Live Oak as there was a black edging but no plants. and the edging was just set there(no apparent attempt to place in ground).

Next project on the list is working on Amaryllis that are in two different beds. One bed has bloomed(shady) the other has not bloomed(sunny) in the two springs I have been here. I'm getting some great help in that arena from a couple of ladies that grow them(also seeds).

Just so glad to be back to gardening and learning a dfferent way of doing it all at he same time. I'll share pics once it all starts to come together(before and after). Baby steps....

Cindy

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer
More Discussions