Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What sort of Bromeliad is this...if this is even one.

Posted by cadillactaste zone 5 Ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 21:56

This was at the guest house in Honduras. Curious of what it is...assuming a bromeliad. But maybe wrong.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What sort of Bromeliad is this...if this is even one.

Close up of some sort of rootball?

o

Staghorn fern, I think.

o

HI everyone

Cadillactaste - Your plant is what's commonly called the Elkhorn Fern here in Australia or to give it its correct name Platycerium bifurcatum. It belongs in the family Polypodiaceae, which has 10 genera and 26 species in Australia.

It and the Staghorn Fern (Platycerium superbum) are the two most commonly grown ones domestically in this country.

In habitat It grows abundantly high up in trees in rain forest areas with mature plants often growing to four or five feet across or even larger in extreme cases.

In the domestic situation they can be grown in baskets or mounted on a base of hessian or old carpet covered wooden backboards as well as mounted on trees.

They like shade to medium light areas and regular watering to grow at their best, and they make good companion plants for orchids and bromeliads.

All the best, Nev.

o

Thanks for all the info. Explains why this was in the location under a covered porch area...yet could get some light being at the edge of the porch/patio.

Now that you mention the size...it was much larger than last year. Not sure if I could appropriately winterize one...do to size and space. Let alone find one. But I am grateful to know what it is. Thank you for that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here