Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gailqld_gw

A couple of bromeliads for ID

gailqld
14 years ago

I've spent ages trawling the web looking for IDs on these two so would really appreciate names if possible.

This one is similar to Neoreglia McWilliamsii but has mottled leaves with a reddish hue

{{gwi:474056}}

{{gwi:474059}}

I think this one is some sort of Billbergia. It keeps the pink colouring all the time

{{gwi:474063}}

{{gwi:474064}}

Comments (10)

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

The first one does look like Neo. macwilliamsii to me, gailqld. The mottling is not so visible when it's grown soft (i.e. shaded and/or fertilized), but it's definitely there and becomes much more noticeable when it's grown harder.

#2 appears to be Bill. 'Louise'.

• gailqld
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm surprised that it could be N Mc Williamsii as it is very different to the other Williamsii we have around the garden (we have quite a few) some in part shade and some in full sun - they are all green without any mottling at all. The photo of the one above is an older photo and didn't colour up as much last time, just got a very light red centre. This photo was taken last year, that's as red as it went. It gets about 2 or 3 hours of sun a day.
    {{gwi:474065}}

We have put a couple of pups around the garden, one in full shade is greener but still has the mottling. We don't feed any of the broms in the ground and they mostly only get watered when it rains unless very dry. I'll get some more photos of the others later

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

HI all,
    In the first pic. my first thoughts were also Macwilliamsii.

But judging by the back-ground colour, it looks to me like the camera isn't accurately re-producing the colours of that or the plant, so now I don't know, but I'll be intersted to see the other photos.

All the best, Nev.

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

I don't have a good photo of macwilliamsii, but there are a couple on FCBS that show the fine spotting:
    {{gwi:474026}} and {{gwi:474028}}

• gailqld
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just took some more pics, it is overcast today so the colour should look more acurate. This is the same plant as in the 1st photo. It gets full sun from about 10 or 11am until about 2 or 3pm depending on whether it is summer or winter.
    {{gwi:474066}}

{{gwi:474067}}

Even has a new pup coming up
    {{gwi:474068}}

These ones below are pups from the same plant but planted in a different area which gets a very light shade, but no direct sun all day
    {{gwi:474069}}

Still has the red mottling over the whole leaf
    {{gwi:474072}}

This N. mcwilliamsii is growing about 3m in the same shade from the one just above
    {{gwi:474073}}

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Gail,
    Is the pup in pic.8 from that same plant and do the pups always present themselves in that colour or is that one a sport?

At last someone's found a practical use for old tyres.

All the best, Nev.

• gailqld
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The pup is on the original plant which are all pics 1,2,5,6 & 7. If you look closely at the pic above the pup (pic 7), you can just see the pup in the gap between the two bigger brom plants... actually, I thought it would be easier to do this - it is pic 7 again but with an arrow showing the pup.
    {{gwi:474074}}

That area of the gardens is a slope and we had trouble with water run off so used the old tyres. Eventually the tyres will be covered in soil and plants... looks ugly until then as any mulch falls off.

• gailqld
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry Nev, didn't finish answering your question. From what I can remember, the pups usually have some colour which fades a bit as they get bigger though I think this one has a little more colour than usual.

I've been going through my photos and these are the only other ones I have of that plant taken Feb 08... not very good photos but you can still just see some colour on the older leaves of the outside pups
    {{gwi:474075}}

{{gwi:474077}}

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Gail,
    I've a question for you. Seeing I'm not very computer savvy, please tell me how you put the arrow on the third last pic.

Thanks, all the best, Nev.

• gailqld
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Nev, I put the arrow on using a graphics program. You can do it on any basic graphics program such as Paint. I do photo restorations as a part time job so it only takes me less than a minute to put an arrow on. If you want to do something similar to your photos and not sure how, let me know and I will 'talk' you through it.
    Gail

Sponsored
More Discussions