Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this Neoregelia "Inkwell"?

Posted by gosalsk 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 23:29

I snagged these guys last year, at a Walmart of all places. The guy with the lighter colors gets way more sun. Pretty sure they're the same plant.

And I'm 99% sure they're Neo. Inkwell, but that one -- there seem to be at least two distinct plants with that name, not counting the variegated one. What's the deal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this Neoregelia "Inkwell"?

Here's a picture of his brother (bottom) and a bonus mystery plant (top). The mystery plant at the top is about 1/2 the size of the others.

o

Oh, I should add -- if the top plant looks a little beat up, it's 'cause a tree fell on it last year.

o

Your plant albo-marginata so its not Inkwell. Its a (carolinae x concentrica) hybrid. Thousands of hybrids were produced from
these plants that were never registered. They are grown for commercial sale.

o
RE: Is this Neoregelia

There seems to be both variegated and albo Inkwell, at least that's what I see when looking at various pictures of them on the registry websites.

I don't doubt you about the plant's provenance, but if you do a google image search for 'Neoregelia inkwell,' a lot of plants come up that look like mine.

https://www.google.com/search?q=neoregelia+inkwell&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X

For what it's worth, the Walmart also had plants that I thought were well-known hybrids. I recognized:

Neo. Tangerine
Bill. Casa Blanca
Neo. Fireball
Neo. Kilauea Fire
Vr. G. Nova
Ae. Little Harv
A. Skinneri
Ae. Mend

And a few others I'm forgetting, along with the above plants and a big green neo I couldn't identify.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search

o

You list of plants are commercialy grown plants. They have been around along time. I don't use google. The BCR is your most reliable source. And FCBS.org The albo version is a revert plant and not something that will reproduce pups identical to the mom consistantly. Many of Chester's early hybrids were less stable than what he know produces.

o
Yin and Yang

Look up Yin and Yang

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here