Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bryan69_gw

BSI world Conference

bryan69
13 years ago

Just wondering how many of ya'll will be coming to the big show? I will be there selling some of my dyckias. Come by and let me know who you are.

Comments (13)

• hotdiggetydam
    13 years ago

I will be working or anything else that keeps me away from that event.

• kerry_t_australia
    13 years ago

Ouch, HDD!

Well, I am coming to N.O. for the WBC, and really looking forward to it. I think it will be great. I am also very excited about my first trip to U.S.A., and meeting face-to-face with several of my good friends from this forum - as well as making new friends with other brom-folk, plus the reunion with established mates. Plus, plus, plus everything else!
    I'll certainly come by and say "g'day!" to you Bryan, at your dyckia stall.

Only 29 sleeps 'til I leave! First stop Hawaii, then New Orleans, then Florida, then California, then Hawaii again, then home sweet home.

I know others from this forum are also attending the WBC. C'mon folks, 'fess up! Dare I suggest we meet for pizza?

Cheers,
    Kerry :)

• chrisn82
    13 years ago

I'll be at the conference but I won't be attending it.

• sdandy
    13 years ago

I'll be there. Gotta see Kerry in action (before she does our August presentation for us in SD), meet some folks, drool over some sweet plants, and hopefully get some beauties to bring home. Just have to figure out the whole plane and transporting the new ones thing. I've had trouble taking some bromeliads in my checked bags as I think they got too cold in the cargo hold (although it was winter, so the bags could have sat out before getting tossed into the plane). Are spinies considered weapons?

I'll be in for pizza as long as there are some beverages involved! Hopefully you're not a teetotaler Kerry as I have high expectations for the general Aussie prowess for drinking! Are there any others coming from the southern hemisphere?
    -andy

• mike4284m
    13 years ago

I wish I was going! Between the talks, sales, and people, it looks like it'll be quite an event. Logging onto this forum to see everyone's pictures and reading their stories will have to do.

Kerry - Are you heading over to the east coast of FL at all or sticking around Michael's on the west?

• kerry_t_australia
    13 years ago

Good on you Andy and Mike! Thanks heaps for your kind comments Andy. Ha! Yes, your spinies could be seen as dangerous weapons, you terrorist you! Nah - just joshin', but death by bromeliads could be scary, just like at frantic sales openings when protective eye covering arguably should be mandatory.

I have deliberated over bringing this up on a public forum, but obviously tension exists between certain factions of the BSI. Considering the "I" in BSI stands for International, it is a damn shame that petty rivalries between certain U.S. states and individuals seem to have influenced the reputation and anticipation of the World Bromeliad Conference. I view any WBC as a wonderful opportunity for fellow bromeliad enthusiasts from many parts of the globe to unite in good fellowship and share their passion. Isn't that what's important? Any such gathering is dependent on success by all the people who participate, NOT just the organisation behind it. I appreciate and support G.N.O.B.S. and the BSI's efforts in making this opportunity available. Ultimately, I believe it is the priority of the WBC registrants to "make or break" this event. There, I have said it. Am I gullible? - probably, but I strongly believe that the aims of our societies need to be honoured, and any form of boycotting is disappointing to me.
    ...just clearing the hair off my neck in preparation for the chopping block. O.K. - ready now - gulp!

Now Andy, I'm afraid you'll beat me in the drinking stakes, but my fellow Aussies will hopefully rise to the occasion and maintain our reputation. I know of a dozen or more Aussies who will be attending the WBC. I don't know how many from other countries below the equator will be attending.

Mike - I will be in Florida for 10 days, traveling in my hire car. Yes, I will certainly be visiting Michael K., but I hope to visit the east and south coast as well. I'll be "winging" that part of my trip. I would love to meet up with you - wanna send me an email to nut out a possible visit?

Cheers,
    Kerry :)

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

I agree, Kerry. I can think of a number of reasons to be dissatisfied with the BSI's performance as an organization (internal politics being not the least of them), but I don't see how passing up a chance to meet people, learn some new things and score some nice plants is going to help any of that. I'd be there if time and money permitted, but they're always held during our busiest time of year, so I'll just have to be content with hearing the reports and seeing the pictures of those who attend.

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Well as you know Kez ,i would have liked to go but up untill just recently i was not cleared for flying by my Doctor due to my heart operation 3 years ago ,and just recently i spend a lot of cash doing the new project ,i am with you ,you would not miss the chance to go if you can do it ,you will have a ball,i loved the one in Port Macquarie ( regional) and despite one little thing would not have missed the one in Cairns , besides i could look around for parts for my American car ( 1957 Chrysler Imperial " Crown " ) while in the U.S.A but i only have so much dosh ,but its to late now to make arangments like a passport etc ,You can fly the flag for Oz and do it well ,Plants are good but meeting the people is better ,we will all be thinking of you Kez ,and wishing WE where there ,
    Jack

• bromeliaddict
    13 years ago

I'm looking forward to being there and, as Kerry says, meeting face to face with the friends I've met on this forum! So far, there are 3 people that I know of who will be attending from Michigan.

Paul

• lynnhud
    13 years ago

Hi All, 31 Aussies are going to the WBC, most from Queensland.
    Kerry will be speaking as will Pedro from Repton.
    Kerry - in November last year we went to the Extravaganza in Orlando. We were made very welcome and there were no "tensions" at all.
    In Bruce Purdie's words "Once you get them together you cannot stop them from having a good time". Leave the politics to the Board and have a really good time. Lynn

• dooleybugs01
    13 years ago

Lyn,
    Lets hope if you get elected president that there will be no tensions and more people will want to join bromeliad societies!!
    Dooley.

• chrisn82
    13 years ago

I'll rejoin when I get my journals up to this past May.

• hotdiggetydam
    13 years ago

Get rid of the politics that should not be there in the first place. Make the organization about its mission statement. Allow all members an equal say in the BSI not a select few. Allow us to vote to chose who runs the organization and have input into its direction. Meetings and financial records should be transparent to all members in good standing. No one should be told its none of their business when they ask a question. If you can accomplish this, resurrection of a dinosaur might happen. Supply enough information for the members to make informed decisions. Today's modern Internet communications make all these things possible.
    We have bromeliad societies we can join for sharing our plants and growing tips. Why pay the BSI for journals we don't get and pay more fee's on the plants at conference's and the hosting societies lose revenue. The BCR is a not a useful tool as its full of redundant and incomplete information. A website for hybridizers would work just as well for showing their new creations. Other avenue's for commercial growers are used to protect their creations.
    So what purpose does the BSI serve, some unknown political agenda?