Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matt15_gw

\\My Garden//

matt15
14 years ago

Hello everyone..!!

I've been visiting these forums for a few months now and enjoy the discussions, readings and of course I love looking at all the photos.

I think of myself as a small social collector and have been doing so for several years now, thanks to my old boy who originally gave me a number of pups from his garden when I bought my first home.

I've taken some random photos of my garden and some broms I'd love for you to all see. I've named afew of the photos but towards the end there are a number of broms I don't know the names of so please let me know.

Many have already flowered and are slowly dieing but the colours remain.

I was very lucky to meet Rick last week and enjoyed talking brom talk and also swapping afew with him.

Enjoy......;)

Cheers Matt

{{gwi:474471}}

{{gwi:474473}}

{{gwi:474475}}

{{gwi:474477}}

{{gwi:474479}}

{{gwi:474481}}

{{gwi:474482}}

{{gwi:474483}}

{{gwi:474484}}

{{gwi:474485}}

{{gwi:474487}}

{{gwi:474489}}

{{gwi:474490}}

{{gwi:474491}}

{{gwi:474492}}

Comments (11)

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Really lovely photos Matt! I especially like the Alcantarea imperialis Skotak, the leaves are sooo wide!
    The last pic looks like one I was trying to get some info on just recently. I thought it might be a Cruenta hybrid, but some say its more Johannis. I'm none the wiser really, but get alot of enjoyment from it anyway.
    Your gardens look great! I bet you love them.
    B_A

• neomea
    14 years ago

Hi and welcome Matt! The collection is coming along nicely.

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Matt,

Your garden is looking good, I was glad to have you over - it motivated me to clean up a little after you left, looking at your garden I guess I have a little more cleaning up to do.

Is the last shot Neo. Cockabell?

The 3rd last looks a little like Gold Fever.

Cheers,

Rick

• matt15
    Original Author
    14 years ago

B_A i think your right here. This was one of the Broms my old boy gave me and i know he has had it in his garden for many years. This same brom is green in shade and a nice pinkish orange in full sun and during blush. The leaves are hard with razor teeth and the centre flower us green.
    Next time I visit my father i'll take some snaps and post them up on your thread to see if that helps.

neomea thx for the welcome.

Rick my yard is under 700² metres so its kinda expected to be tidyish. If I had a yard anywhere near the size of yours i'd constantly be expending it with new gardens and shade houses. The last one isn't cockabelle but might be the same brom B_A is trying to ID in another recent thread.
    Here's a Cockabelle simular to the one I gave you.
    {{gwi:467285}}

Cheers Matt

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi Matt, yes i like the way your garden is shaping up as well, your Vr,gigantea (tesselata)is very nice and one of my favoriete plants, i would suggest that you give your Alc.vinicolour as much light as possible to colour it up ,your Alc.Imperialis 'skotak' is lovely,good show,the red Neo,with the spots ? i dont think is 'gold fever'leaves are to narrow and spots not intense enough ,it looks more like a plant thats been around for years as 'black forest'and if thats grown a bit soft looks like that.all the same .a good show, Jacob

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Matt, welcome! Thanks for the pics. You have some nice plants there - and so much room for so many more! Cheers, Paul

• sdandy
    14 years ago

Hey Matt, love those alcatareas. And the other big ones too. But there's definitely room to get more bromeliads in there!

• matt15
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thankyou all for your comments. Yes there is always room for more and with this brom bug i'm forever buying new plants..... even today i bought a couple lol.

Jacob thankyou for naming my vriesea. I've always wondered whether or not I should give the vincolour more sun so i've taken your advice and moved it into a place it will get lots more sun, thankyou.

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Matt, I'm glad you think they may be the same. As soon as I saw your pic I thought I recognised it! Yes, pinkish in full light. Does/did your dad know the name?
    B_A

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Matt,

There's only one thing better than looking through my bromeliad garden, and that's looking through someone elses!

Yours looks great, keep up the good work and thanks for sharing it with us.

All the best, Nev.

• sunshine_qld
    14 years ago

Lovely garden Matt and definitely plenty of room for more broms.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions