Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weird growth on my cryptanthus

Posted by amylovesplants So. Cal 10/19 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 08 at 0:43

I've had this plant for about 3 years. About 2 months ago, I divided it an potted up 2 pups (correct term?). The pups look good and are growing pretty fast.

This is a picture of the mother plant. She's not doing too well. Though it's hare to tell in the picture, the 3 middle things are about an inch tall - looks like I'm growing three trees.

I have her in the same light conditions. I checked and the rootball is good. Do they have a short life-span?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks, Amy
crypthanus

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weird growth on my cryptanthus

Those are pups. I'm assuming it bloomed. Once that happens it will gradually decline, but you should be able to get several pups off it in the meantime.

o

Hi Lisa!

What do the flowers look like? If they are really subtle like the cast iron plant, then maybe I just missed them. I recently took 2 pups off, perhaps these are more pups. But the first set were growing off the crown, and under the main set of leaves. These are growing out of the top of the crown.

Thanks for your advice!
Amy

o

I couldn't find a picture of C. vittatus in bloom, but Crypt flowers all look pretty much the same, small and white in the center of the plant. The link will show you many of them. You'll also see some that are pupping from the crown just as yours is. That is standard behavior after they bloom, even if they produce basal pups as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: FCBS photo index: Cryptanthus

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here