Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brommad16

Any Aussies out there? can you help ID a neo please

brommad16
13 years ago

Gee its been months since i posted here nearly forgotten how to post

I'm trying to find ID for this neo pictured below, any ideas on what it is would be gratefully appreciate thanks.

Also can anyone tell me is there a bromeliad with a black flower and if so whats it's ID

{{gwi:475036}}

{{gwi:475039}}

Also putting this one up, yes its lost its tag also, but putting here more to show the oddities rather than ID, but if you knows its ID it I'd also love a name.

Looks almost normal in this pic

{{gwi:475042}}

the next pic shows its not, its got two centers

{{gwi:475045}}
That was fine until i got it out from a group and inspected it further only to discover it has 4 centers although 1 is very squashed as one can imagine as its not an overly large brom to start with, and very hard trying to get the 4 centers showing in a picture.

In this pic you can see the 2 and on closer inspection can see where the other 2 centers are, that's about the best pic i can get of it.

{{gwi:475048}}

Comments (6)

• geebus
    13 years ago

Hey BromMad

I can't be of any use but to say I have a similar brom to your top one. Mine is full shade so the colour is similar but not exact, I suspect they are one and the same!

I hope of one the guru's can give you an ID. :)

Regards
    Gordon.

• bromaholic
    13 years ago

And mine would make 3 of these. Mine came from SE QLD and tagged as N concentrica. Sometimes I agree and sometimes I don't.

No pic as it's too dark and too wet right now!

• dooleybugs01
    13 years ago

brommad,
    The first one to me looks like my neo. Olwen Ferris. The next one i am not sure. Because it is obviously growing differently we may not be able to give a propper ID. I am unaware of any neo having a black flower.
    hope this helps
    Dooley.

• avane_gw
    13 years ago

Brommad

The closest to a black flower on any bromeliad I can recall now, is Aech victoriana.

Japie

• geebus
    13 years ago

I am in SE. QLD and mine is grown in shade. I will get an updated photo of it tomorrow to see if we can further unravel any mysteries. It's one of the happiest looking plants in the garden at the moment.

G.

• brommad16
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for replying every one, so nice to be able to ask for help on this forum and someone always replies.
    Geebus yes i'd say there the same brom and that one also also came from FNQ, just wished it had a name but hope ye t of someone naming it.
    Avane i also thought of A.Victoriana with black tips to flowers but didnt think there was any others with a black flower.
    I have been busy in my brom house for last 2 weeks stocktaking of all broms so i know what i have and what i don't have anymore, I took pics of this section when i had finished, and thought I'd put here to show,
    the picture doesn't do it justice, it looked so beautiful with naked eye as sun was low in sky and broms catching the glow from it

{{gwi:2101971}}
    and this Vriesea Nova (I think the name has been changed but not sure to what ??) looking almost transparent in this photo, again maybe position of sun or maybe the stones and colouring in brom making it look that way.
    {{gwi:2101972}}
    V. Fosterina-White lines, also looking kinda weird with light reflecting on leaves
    {{gwi:2101973}}