Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splinter1804

The instability of some Neo's

splinter1804
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd share this pic to demonstrate the instability of a variegated Neo Meyendorffii mini I have in my collection. I don't know what to expect from one pup to the other. All of the plants pictured came from the same Mother Plant.

All the best, Nev.

{{gwi:450012}}

Comments (12)

• sunshine_qld
    10 years ago

They are certainly different Nev.
    Can I have a pup off the white one. LOL
    A lot of growers are not flowering to the 3rd pup any more so we may see this more often.

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

That is sure interesting! None of my neos seem to have anywhere near that much variation among pups.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Quite the variety. A collection from one plant.

Thanks for the pix.

tj

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Wow, that was very interesting to see! Thanks for posting those pictures! I wonder if they will continue to hold their current color patterns or change as they get older.

Sunshine, along the lines of your comment, I am noticing that more and more very aged broms are stripped of their pups prior to sale. New (but aging) broms arrive in the retail big-box chain stores in bloom, but with no pups whatsoever. They used to have two or three babies if you peeked under the lowest set of leaves. But now, often there is nothing but heavy, overwatered potting soil to greet you.

Carol in Jacksonville

• sunshine_qld
    10 years ago

Hi Carol we don't usually sell neos in flower here. They are really passed their use by date but if the price is right they would be still okay as they will send out more pups.

• hotdiggetydam
    10 years ago

Its best to remove the white pups as soon as they turn white so they don't sap the mother plants energy since they don't survive on their own anyway.

10 years ago

Sunshine - agreed, that is my point. They didn't use to sell those here, either, unless loaded up with at least a couple pups. Now it is a brom, in flower, with no pups (stripped away prior to sale).

Carol

• sunshine_qld
    10 years ago

Too greedy. They want it both ways.

10 years ago

Yes! Yes! Yes! Greed!

• FluffyClou
    10 years ago

Nice pictures :)

Umm, what does Neo mean? o.o

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

It's an abbreviation of Neoregelia, a common genus of bromeliad.

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi everyone - I do agree with what you've all said and my own opinion is that the plants above are worthless, unless (as I did) you let it grow to prove to other growers that instability can and does exist and more so in some brom's than others.

I would never sell such a plant but I did hear a story of one unsuspecting lady who was new to brom's and who paid big money for a supposedly "very rare albino brom". (It was from an Ae Gamosepala)

The picture accompanying the advertisement showed the albino pup still attached to the mother plant which was in full flower and of course looked like a "real winner" to the inexperienced.

Obviously, once it was separated from the Mother plant it soon died. The poor lady went to a brom grower she knew for advice as she was sure she had done something wrong when she potted the plant as she said it was alright when she received it.

When it was explained to her what the problem was she wrote a letter to the seller at the return address on the parcel but (surprise, surprise) it came back "NOT AT THIS ADDRESS"

Just how low can some people stoop? The grower she went to for advice did give her a pot of Ae. Lucky Stripes which made he feel a little better, but the fact she had been cheated still left a very bitter taste in her mouth and probably made her very cautious of all brom growers......... I guess you live and learn.

All the best, Nev.

Sponsored
More Discussions