Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vriesea

Vr '.Melissa Dilling'

vriesea
14 years ago

Well time for another photo ,this plant is registered but no photo on FSBC yet,it is named for a very dear friend and a beautifull lady (they always are both) the Dillings have a great nursery and very good growers,Melissa has been 'fiddling' very succesfully and you will see more and more of them on FCBS in the future will send another photo as i dont know how to send 2 at once

{{gwi:475879}}

Comments (9)

• vriesea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

here is the side view of the same plant

{{gwi:475881}}

• bromeliaddict
    14 years ago

Jack,
    Very pretty! That shade of pink is just about never seen in Vrieseas around here. It's a real tantalizing tease with the amount of pink in the foliage! The side view is particularly nice.

Paul

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Jack,

What a beautiful and unusual colour combination that plant has, hard to believe without having seen the picture.

It must be the month for "out of the ordinary" plants; first Lisa's pink Neo. and now your Vriesea.

It certainly gives encouragement to new, "budding" hybridizers to strive for something unusual.

Thanks for showing us, all the best, Nev.

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Very nice, Jack. I love it when they go all streaky!

• jaga
    14 years ago

Jack
    very nice , The 2 of us cant help ourselves hunting out this sort of streaky/splattered mix patterned vriesea's here, and your example will be a big 'must have' in Austrailia. Looks like Fenistralis is in the Mix ?? Melissa will be happy.

John + Agatha

• vriesea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank's everyone for the nice comments,Yes Jaga,well spotted it has Vr.fenstralis in the mix,its from a selfing of my Vr.Kakadu wich is Vr.fenesralis x Vr.fosteriana 'white bands' Selfings of Vriesea hybrids can give really nice pleasing results ,and allthough a lot of people bypass Vr.fenestralis i find its a great parent that does nice things in the second generation ,But (there's allways a But?)it does make plants a bit cold sensitive ,is Melissa happy ? she sure is.I will self this plant again but i can see lots of potential,there where a few more pinkish but not streaky ,its the unexpected in a cross thats the bonus,and maybe its the month to be pink in plants.and i am with you Lisa it is nice when they go streaky.there really seems to be no end to what colour/patterns can be achieved .I wonder will we ever manage blue on vrieseas ? now there is something to try for all you young budding hybridists, i dont have enough years left,but then i am sure that at one time we only ever dreamed of plants that are being produced now ,the future is bright ,one of my aims (read that as dreams) is to produce a plant that is like my Vr.Montezuma's Gem, has a flower spike like a huge Vr. Poelmanii in red, you know the best of both worlds,i am sure it can be done,one thing good about Vr.fenestralis is that it accepts the colour of the other parents flower spike and will make plants bigger than itself (Vr.gigantea makes plants smaller than itself most times) anyway i thought you all may like to have a look,thanks again for most kind comments. Jack.

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Beautiful plant Jack. very unusual!
    This may sound naive, (and i am) but When you say selfing, do you mean a self pollinated seedling? Does that make it an F2? *scratching head*
    What are the smaller vrieseas like for playing with, such V. guttata? It is kinda blue, and spotty. Are they compatible with the larger foliage Vrieseas?
    BA

• vriesea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry B.A , i should have paid more attention so will answer your question (s) yes its Vr. Kakadu x self so its an F2 but i did the selfing .now the size makes no difference for playing with.Vr.guttata is difficult to do hybridizing with ,i have tried lots of times but given up.they are compatible thats not the problem, they just dont want to do it (there are very few guttata hybrids around)be nice if you could.Jack

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Thanks jack. My Vr guttata flowered the same time as Vr. rubyae, so I poked them with a paintbrush, but neither set seed. I don't think it would've achieved much if they had, and both seem to be quite prolific puppers, so the time taken to grow the seed out would've been a waste probably.
    I'm happy to see what you and the other hybridisers come up with, because you know, I'll support my local bromeliad nurseries! he he.
    BA

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio
More Discussions