Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
udo69

Need some help about Werauhia.

udo69
14 years ago

Hello Everyone,

My Werauhia sanguinolenta rubra now start flowering. I'm new to this wing seed type broms. and need some advise about how to pollinate it. I don't have any Tillandsoideae flowering except some grey leaved Till.

My questions are:

- Can I pollinate my Werauhia with grey leaved Till.?

- When is the proper time to pollinate? When is the pistil acceptable?

- Do anybody have experience about this plants and what the result is?

Many people here introduce some threads about Vriesia hybrids. That brings me around that nice broms. Hope I have a good luck. LOL.

Cheers

Yong

Comments (10)

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Yong, this Werauhia blooms at night, I'm not sure exactly what time, and in my experience it always self-pollinates. You would probably have better luck using it as a pollen parent, but maybe somebody out there has tried emasculating it and pollinating it?

• allan4519
    14 years ago

Hi Yong, I have not pollinated the Werauhia sanguinolenta rubra, though grow it and have found many of these night flowers, can be pollinated at dusk or as soon as pollen is ripe.
    Many are self fertile and will set seed with their own pollen, though have found many broms will freely pollinate with in the same genera even between genera, so if you have a choice Vriesea or Tillandsia then try it and hopefully it will set lots of seed.
    Was surprised how easy it is to produce bi generic seed, on a range of bromeliads. ie Guzmania with Vriesea, Nidularium with Aechmea, Neoregelia with Aechmea.
    Allan

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Yong ,i have no experience there but it should cross within the Tillanseiodea, the main difference in the flowers is that with Vr. the pollen bearing anthers are mostly at bottom of the flower and with Wer. they are at the top, i mostly pollinate at night between 9 pm and 12 midnight on cool nights flowers are still ok in early morning ,some plants (Vr.gigantea can open flowers day and night,your plant would be lovely to put pollen of my Vinicolour on,best of luck whatever you try ,selfing it is good but they are slow growing. Jack

• udo69
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all advises.

Yes, Lisa. Werauhia is selfer. Some of mine flowered last year and set lots of seeds. I didn't try to pollinate it and also didn't observe what time it's flowers opened. The Vriesea topics froce me to do something. ;-)

Hi, Allan. Nice to see you again. As you said i should try to pollinate it with Till. pollen. even though I don't know what the result but should try.

Jack. It's a good idea to cross your vinicolor with my Werauhia. I just enter FCBS and found no Alcantarea and Werauhia hybrids. I will send you some of my pollen. Is it possible to send viable pollen from Thailand to Australia and how to do this? We might have a good luck. ;-)

Cheers
    Yong

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi Yong your offer of pollen is greatly apriciated and i can send you some of my Vinicolour ok? pack pollen in paper such as ordinary writing paper (not tissue Paper)and send to : Jacob Koning ,2/7 Gorden street,Port Macquarie,N.S.W. 2444 , Australia. thank you .so please let me have your adress and will send (by airmail)my pollen yes we may have some luck,so far there are no hybrids between these species as far as i nkow,but it is possible to do so .bye Yong

• udo69
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Jack,

I will send you when it's pollen ripe. I will do as you suggested. Hope we both suceed in hybridization.

My address is :
    Sathitvong Chayangsu
    478/51 M.2 K.C.Natural Ville
    Praksamai, Muang
    Samut Prakarn 10280
    Thailand
    sathitvong@gmail.com

I will take photos of my Werau. and posted to show you it's dark red color next week. ;-b

Cheers
    Yong

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi Yong,I will send pollen a.s.a.p by airmail,hopefully it will work for us both,thank you .Jack

• udo69
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Jack,

This is my plants with flower. They all grow from seeds I got from BSI seed bank many years ago. It's flowers doesn't open yet. It's pollen maybe ready to collect next week.

Cheers
    Yong
    {{gwi:475890}}
    {{gwi:475891}}

• udo69
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Jack,

I just send Werauhia pollen today via registered mail. Please Email me when it arrive. Hope it will reach you savely. My Email is sathitvong@gmail.com. Have a good day.

Cheers
    Yong

• Fern_Freak
    9 years ago

Hi all, just wondering if anyone had any luck? I know its an old post so was hoping it was a success and have some pics of adults?
    Cheers
    Tim

Sponsored
More Discussions