Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brom_adorer

A few bromeliad health questions

brom_adorer
14 years ago

I have a plant (Neoregeli concentrica takemura silverado hybrid) that has some scurfy stuff on it. It can be scratched off, not to return. It also disappears when wet, but reappears when the leaf dries back out. The same plant is also prone to algae in the basal leaves.

What is this, and what should I do about it?

{{gwi:475939}}

{{gwi:475940}}

{{gwi:475941}}

NEXT

My Neoregelia 'Amazing Grace' has never flowered but has rolled up in the centre. It has a half grown pup though, which I'm glad of. Is this quilling? I thought quilling was from a lack of humidity, but with our rain in the last 12 months, you wouldn't think that was an issue. Is there other factors to consider? Or is this something else?

{{gwi:475942}}

NEXT

Not so much a health problem I don't think.

I bought this plant as Neoregelia 'Panama' but its not at FCBS. It has started to develop these bands on the central leaves. Can anyone tell me anything about it? Are these bands just a colour development, or a sign of defficiency or something?

{{gwi:475943}}

LAST

Not a health question at all.

Does anyone have an ID on this Guzmania. Its rather large!

{{gwi:475945}}

I look forward to the ensuing discussions!

BA

Comments (10)

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi B_A,

That Neo takemura X looks like a beauty. From the pic, I'd guess at that white stuff being dried algae. I've had the same thing happen a couple of times with plants that received the same splosh of 1/2 strength liquid fertiliser as the rest but didn't get as much of a flush from the watering system. Plants were perfectly healthy and the white dried algae could be rolled off with a finger fairly easily after wetting it.

Not sure about the AG and the Guz, but re the Neo with the pale ring just out of the cup, I've had exactly the same thing happen with a couple of Neos and foliage Vrieseas, and in each case the band has been where the leaves were level with the surface of the water in the cup on a very hot day. In one case, a V. fosteriana x platynema variegata hybrid with normally evenly-spread patterning, the plant ended up with a series of rings that you could use as a calendar of hot days.

That being said, I'm not sure if the band is necessarily the result of high temperature. It could equally be the result an extreme difference in temperature across a narrow band of leaf. I am guessing at this, but conceivably you could get this from chilling at the water surface due to evaporation on a hot day in summer, or chilling at the water surface due to cold air on a cold night in winter, or ..... ??????

Hope this helps. It'll be really interesting to see what others have to say. Cheers, Paul

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi again BA. the green banding in Neo.s is a result of temperature fluctuations,in some like 'bob and grace' and 'avalon x concentrica' it develops best in autumn ,in middle of summer it can dissapear completely.the white stuff is indeed dried algea and does no harm,the quilling can happen to all Broms, if it was a problem with the plant then your pup would do it to. lack of humidity often gets the blame and can do it ,specially with Guzmania's , but i have seen it in very wet conditions as well,mind you some individual plants are notorious for doing it.but your plant is not truly quilled,it looks like it wanted to flower and then decided not to and sort of grow some leaves.so dont worry about any of your plants, the guzzie? can't help you, Bye bye .Jack

• brom_adorer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks you guys. I'd like to remove the dried algae if possible, as the plant has the best colour, and it's kind of marred with the scurfy stuff. Any ideas on the best method. Meanwhile, I will try rolling it when wet, thanks Paul.
    I'm glad the rings in the Neo aren't anything to worry about. I quite liked the effect, but just thought it strange as I've had the plant a couple of years now and it hasn't changed colour for quite some time, so Figured it was at its peak. I was also told that its very rare to get a pup from, and as it hasn't flowered, this could be why.
    Hopefully someone out there will recognise my Guzzy. Its probably some hybrid grown for the wholesale market. The original purchase had one old mother and 15 pups! They were all quite small, but after splitting and repotting them, they have turned out to be a very large plant!
    Anyway, as always thanks for your responses.
    BA

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi BA,

Probably the best solution with the algae would be if the plant was flushed out a bit more when it is watered, so the nutrients in the water held by the plant don't accumulate to a level where the algae go ballistic.

Now, why don't I take my own advice? By the way, if you ever feel that Neo would like to relocate southwards, I would be very happy to consider helping out.

Cheers, Paul

• brom_adorer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maybe if it went south it would get more rings, is that what you're saying? he he.

• rickta66
    14 years ago

BA,

Vinegar or diluted Metholated Spirits on cotton wool should wipe off your dried algae then wash off with water, I have used metho to remove scale off Neos then washed clean with water - it didn't seem to harm my neos.

Rick

• brom_adorer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That settles it then, I shall set to with a toothbrush, and maybe some metho, and gently scrub the crud off my babies.
    Nev, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you're a funny man! he he I think I'll keep 'em here and nurse them myself. No one cares for my babies as much as me!
    Rick, thanks for your advice too. I was wondering if a diluted solution of tea tree antiseptic (especially for plants) might work? What actually kills algae?
    I had actually washed that particular plant out a couple of times previously, as it looked to have quite a bit of bird poo in it. Where I got it from, was overhung with Jade vine, and lots of little humming birds buzzing about.
    Anyway, it has continued to grow algae, so really, I need to try and inhibit that eh?
    Anyhoo, I'm very appreciative of the suggestions so far.
    Wish I knew that Guzmania though........
    BA

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi B.A. just settle to it for some reason some plants just seem to grow it more than others ,one of my Vr.Aussie Beauties' just would not stop doing it and the others hardly did, go figure,its just one of those things, Jack

• brom_adorer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Jack. I've noticed that my Neos that haven't flowered yet in two years, are the ones that get it. I guess they just sit around too long, holding water. They're in good light too, so that encourages algae. I Checked in on them this morning, and such a heavy dew, they all looked lovely when wet!
    I noticed I have a lot of that ripply leaf effect on alot of different plants. I read in another thread, that it was climate/temperature related, but I quite like the texture.
    Happy growing
    BA

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions