Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
longfellow_gw

help-correia-araujoi

longfellow
14 years ago

What a name.! 'correia-araujoi'its been driving me mad [ only a short trip in my case]I'v been trying to find out the meaning or origin of correia-araujoi as found in so many species of broms. I found out that correia is a Portuguese surname meaning leather strap but have no idea if its relevant to the makeup of correia-araujoi, any help would be gratefully appreciated, and might stop an old bloke from going mad.

Thanks Mike [what a fantastic forum]

Comments (13)

• bromaholic
    14 years ago

Greetings longfellow...accordinf to the wonerful Lisa of this forum...they are named for a Luiz (Luis) Correia de Araujo of Brazil. Search this forum for this. There was a further link postyed by Lisal but it is not dead.

Great name though!

• devo_2006
    14 years ago

Hi Mike,

I asked the same question a while back...have a look at the link, then scroll down to see the second post from Lisa, unfortunately I cannot access her link now...maybe she'll be able to reload it.

Cheers, Andrew.

Here is a link that might be useful: meaning of correia-araujoi

• blue_heeler
    14 years ago

Another question.......how do you pronounce it?????

• pinkbroms
    14 years ago

Hi Guys

Also for those interested there is an interesting article on F.C.B.S under Uncle Derek Says, titled 'Is Neoregelia correia-araujoi a natural hybrid ?

Also printed in Qld. Journal Bromeliaceae, Vol. XLI-4,July/August 2007.

Google araujoi, gets you direct to U.D Says article.

Pinkbroms

• bromaholic
    14 years ago

I'll see if I can post this without making such a mess with typos like above! (And link IS dead, and I was not drinking!)

I pronounce it like: core-ray-a a-rah-joy

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

I don't know why that link is broken, but here's the chart again (link below). On p. 14, for Aechmea correia-araujoi it says: "for well-known collector & co-discoverer of plant (with Burle-Marx)-- Luiz Knud Correia de Araujo."

As to pronunciation, I tend to go with co-RAY-ah ah-ROW-zho-eye (ROW rhyming with how now brown cow, etc. and zh like the z sound in "azure" or Zsa Zsa Gabor). That's about as good as I can do in writing, but I may be wrong. Maybe there are some Brazilians in lurkdom who can help with this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Aechmea spp. table

• catkim
    14 years ago

Lots of Portuguese descendants in my area, so I know the first part is co-RAY-ah, but then I put a French twist on the last part: ah-row-ZSWAH, the 'zs' sound matching the 's' in measure, or pleasure. For the 'oi', think of 'Joie de vivre', or 'bourgeois', that's where I got it. Hey, I'm creative. ; ) Lisa's version is probably more in compliance with latin binomial rules, separating the two vowels.

• Minxie
    14 years ago

core ree ah roo gee eye

• neomea
    14 years ago

Hey Y'all!

I agree with - co-RAY-ah
    Wouldnt the j be pronounced ggg (a throaty sound)? so
    co-RAY-ah Ah-rouw-gggoi

• bromaholic
    14 years ago

That's a great file, thanks Lisa!

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Hi Mike, glad you came over? this is fun, I thought the J might be like H, as in when Jesus, is said hey-zuess, or Y like the J in Juanita, so it could be Co-ray-a a-row-yoi, or Co-ray-a a-row-hoi? maybe? he he
    BA

• longfellow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Sue.Thanks to everyone that responded to my plea for help,lisaclv that link was great' took me no time to print and put it in my file' its the type of information that I thrive on thanks

• gonzer_gw
    9 years ago

That plant >>>>>>