Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vriesea

Vriesea 'white Opal'

vriesea
14 years ago

Hi Gang ,for those that are interested in hybridizing here's another Vr.fenestralis hybrid .sorry about the small size of photos i must try to work out how to get them bigger .looks like i did Jack

{{gwi:476847}}

Comments (14)

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Jack,

Another of your many striking plants; I love the fine pattern on the foliage. Does the colour intensify when it flowers?

You seem to have mastered the art of posting pictures, so we expect so many more from you now.

Eagerly awaiting your next pic's, all the best, Nev.

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Jack, just lovely. I'm no expert, but those rounded leaves and soft warm colours seem to set it apart from other ones I've seen with those fine tesselations. Please feel free to keep them coming! Cheers, Paul

• jaga
    14 years ago

Without cheating to see if it is registered my guess is Vr Fosteriana Red Chestnut x Vr Gigantea ??

• vriesea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Jaga ,you're close ,sort of, the cross is Vr.'kakadu' = (fenestralis x fosteriana) x gigantea 'seideliana'(nova) its not often that i use it as i have explained but that cross seemed trouble free.its just now starting to get some pink on the top ,see how it develops and may post a later picture,thank you all for the complamentarey remarks,Jack

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Another beauty, Jack! What about showing some others of your 'Opal' series?

umm J+A... read Jack's first sentence again, regards mention of one parent.

K

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Gosh Jack, you're eyes must ache from looking at all the lovely plants in your collection. Keep up the good work, and beautiful photography, too!
    BA

• matt15
    14 years ago

Jack you have some amazing V's mate. The markings on the leaves are just stunning.

• udo69
    14 years ago

Vow!!!!! Very beautiful Jack. I like all of your Vriesea hybrids. All are awesome. Hope they will be owned by me someday.
    I want to see another stuning, please ;-b

Cheers
    Yong

• vriesea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your kind comments,it is very rewarding to have my efforts apriciated,will post some more piccies of the other Opals later. but i am still learning the process of up loading, also i am a hit and miss photographer,sometimes it works ,and other? best you dont see.I dont even know how i managed to post a full size photo for once.I am very fond of Vr.fenestralis as a parent as it makes for dainty fine markings,but the down side is it makes plants a bit cold sensitive,hopefully people will use it more and more ,Jack

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Well, I'll use it if the opportunity presents itself. My plant has thrown a number of pups this year, so if I keep them all and flower them, I should get to play with something. I did play with it when it flowered, but no other Vrieseas were flowering, so i think I painted a nidularium or something! Didn't work! he he
    BA

• vriesea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

B.A and others who are thinking of cross polinating ,there are two types of seeds in Bromeliads ,Winged or Plumose (with little plumes,like a dandelion seed) and berry like seeds ,first rule in the plant world is that plants with disimilar seeds will not cross ! so berry type seed plants will NOT cross with plume like seeds,so B.A.thats why it did not work ,trust this helps Ok ? regards Jack

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Thanks jack, that does make sense! I was poking paintbrushes at anything that resembled pollen, really! I did use labels to mark what i had done, but had trouble with dissappearing ink! I'm not sure that I'll go into pollinating too much in the future, but if I do, I must come up with a better way of keeping track. I know its annoying when the parentage has been lost/misplaced.
    BA

• vriesea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi B.A no dont give up ,its not allways the ink that dissapears, the labels can be the problem as well, sure use a top quality marker or a soft lead pencil,but some plastic tags have a coating that weathers away and takes the ink with it, soak them in metho and wipe off,might help you.Ok? you have to have a definite aim in mind when you go to pollinate plants ,and the seedparent generally influences shape and size and the pollen parent influences colours. trust this may help .Bye Jack

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Thanks Jack. I will certainly try to have a goal in mind if I pick up the paint brush again. I don't want to waste my time growing out uninteresting plants. Thanks for all the pearls of wisdom you keep spitting out, because its hard to get this kind of information anywhere else. I'm being very studious and taking notes about it all. Maybe I'll write a book one day! You can take the pictures. he he
    BA

Sponsored
More Discussions