Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
devo_2006

Vriesea Hybrids On Show.

devo_2006
16 years ago

A good collection of NZ Vriesea Hybrids were on show at our monthly Bromeliad meeting, so I thought it was worth sharing a few photo's.

{{gwi:476922}}

{{gwi:476924}}

{{gwi:476926}}

Vriesea Dark Knight. A lovely large plant.

{{gwi:476928}}

{{gwi:443113}}

Vriesea Pacific Ruby.

{{gwi:476933}}

Vriesea Kiwi Jewel.

{{gwi:477015}}

Vriesea Tasman Hybrid.

{{gwi:477016}}

Vriesea Tasman Rose.

{{gwi:477018}}

{{gwi:477019}}

Vriesea Tasman Candyman.

And, I had to include this one. No, not a Vriesea, but...

{{gwi:477020}}

Tillandsia bulbosa. 9 heads, with 5 in flower.

Comments (19)

• avane_gw
    16 years ago

Beautiful Devo! I'll have the Dark Knight thanks!!!

• atmccmn
    16 years ago

Simply love their tessalations. One will never get bored admiring them. What a beauty!!

• neonut
    16 years ago

devo, I haven't had much to do with Vrieseas, but from what I have seen there seems to be a lot of magnificent specimens coming out of New Zealand.

If I wasn't so much into neos I could be easily tempted with some of those in your photos.

• Patris
    16 years ago

Please put me down for one Tasman Rose!
    Thanks for sharing the photos.

• bob740
    16 years ago

Thanks for the show deco.
    They are beautiful !
    Someone sure knows how to hybridize
    and grow them.
    Not a poor bottom row leaf among them,and that is sooo common with Vrieseas.
    Great looking display.
    That 9 head Til. is one of the best I've seen.
    Bob

• bromeliaddict
    16 years ago

Like a kid in a candy store! I'll take one of those, and this one please!...and how about that one over there?!

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

Fabulous, especially Tasman Candyman! Who's hybrids are these?

• mike4284m
    16 years ago

Wow. Since everyone seems to be placing their orders I'll take a couple Pacific Rubies. Very nice plants, thanks for thinking of us and taking some snapshots.

• User
    16 years ago

Ditto, ditto, who's the person behind those beauties? Thanks for sharing them devo. The bulbosa sure has been raised with a lot of love!

• max838
    16 years ago

Vriesea, It is my most favorite variety
    he beautiful leaf is really to like by people

• devo_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

These hybrids are just a small selection from the range being done by Kiwi Bromeliads.

See the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kiwi Bromeliads.

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

They've got some really nice ones, right up there with Shiigi and Arden's hybrids. I checked the registry, hoping to find the parentage of the Tasman collection, but I see they're being cagey about it. Phooey!

The Kiwi series is given as platynema v.variegata x fosteriana 'Red Leaf Form'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vr. Kiwi and Tasman collections

• devo_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Lisa,

The Kiwi series were the first "group" of hybrids released. Then, my understanding is that they used the best from this series, crossed back to V. gigantea (possibly seideliana) to get the Tasman series. I have a couple of the Tasman series, as I do like the wider leaf form, which has come from the gigantea parent.

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

I was thinking they might have some fenestralis in them, devo. John Arden has a cross he calls "040" which I believe is platynema x fenestralis, and he's gotten similar results using that as a parent, in particular that rounded leaf tip, which you wouldn't expect from gigantea.

Bob, didn't you post a picture of one of Arden's hybrids from the cover of the Journal that had a round leaf tip and a saturated pink center? Can you re-post that and give the parentage?

• max838
    16 years ago

Very curious
    From seed to grow up How much time is needed spending
    2year,3year or more ...
    I am on this road ^^!!!

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

Max, I hope you have patience! Vrieseas take longer to grow from seed than Neos. The larger foliage types can take at least 4-5 years from seed to bloom, and that is with year-round growing season. In New Zealand, where growing stops during winter, it probably takes much longer than that.

The only bromeliads that take longer to grow from seeds are Tillandsias. Those take 7-8 years to bloom, average.

• bob740
    16 years ago

Hi Lisa,
    If this is the photo you meant,then here it is:
    The cross mwntioned is Vr.platynema x Vr.fenistralis.
    The plant was grown by Pamela Laever,and the photo by
    Chet Blackburn.[no mention was made of the breeder]
    Bob
    {{gwi:470897}}

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

I like the one John Arden did with platynema X fenestralis
    'Sweet success'

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

Bob, call me anal but sideways photos drive me buggy, so I took the liberty of flipping it and cropping it a bit (see how easy it is to steal a pic? ;-) ) Yes, this is the one I was thinking of. Doesn't it look like Tasman Candyman's long lost brother?

{{gwi:477021}}

I guess I just assumed it was Arden's hybrid because I know he's done that cross and worked with it, and because he and Pam Laever are both in CA (albeit different parts of the state). Whoever did it, it hasn't been registered. If it were mine I'd certainly register it!

Sweet Success has been registered. It's platynema x (platynema x fenestralis).

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:476919}}

Sponsored
More Discussions