Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyndi_whye

Singapore Garden Festival 2010

lyndi_whye
13 years ago

Just a few pictures from the festival 15-22 July 2010.

Entrance to the exhibition Hall.

{{gwi:477039}}

{{gwi:477040}}

Part of the Orchid Displays

{{gwi:477041}}

{{gwi:477042}}

Floral Display

{{gwi:477043}}

{{gwi:477044}}

{{gwi:477045}}

Living Wall Display

{{gwi:477046}}

close-up

{{gwi:477049}}

Sneak preview of the Garden By The Bay

Bottle Tree (sorry, pic a little blurry)

{{gwi:477050}}

{{gwi:477052}}

{{gwi:477053}}

{{gwi:477054}}

Garden Landscapes

{{gwi:477055}}

{{gwi:477057}}

Fantasy Gardens

Gymea Lilies

Landscape by Jim Fogarty

Bonsai on a plate

Comments (19)

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Gardener
    {{gwi:477077}}

{{gwi:477079}}

{{gwi:477081}}

{{gwi:477083}}

{{gwi:477085}}

• graykiwi
    13 years ago

Oh my word...is that Singapore on our planet, or some other world ?! Great show Lyndi, thanks for sharing...were there any Brom scapes there at all ?
    Graeme

• vriesea
    13 years ago

That is extra ordinary Lyndi,how artistic ,thank you so much ,it was beautifully done ,
    Jack

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi Lyndi,

What a fantastic, varied display from the plant world. It even has a touch of Australia with some Gymea Lilies.

Thanks for sharing such a great collection of pic's with us.

All the best, Nev.

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your compliments! There are 2 huge floors of display at our Suntec Convention Hall, what I showed is about half of the displays. In 2006 Tropifloral put up a Bromscape display, not this year.

• kerry_t_australia
    13 years ago

Fantastic Lyndi! Now I know where the sequel to the movie Avatar will be filmed!
    Thanks for sharing these wonderful exhibits with us. They are so beautiful and inspirational.

K :)

• jaga
    13 years ago

Thanks for showing this tropical 'extravaganza' off to all of us Lyndi. Love that first pic of those hanging mini orchids and the 'gardener'. Not many broms mixed in it seems ? Is this a annual show ?

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The event is held bi-annually and this is the 3rd year. FYI, the World Orchid Conference will be held here next year.

Just a few broms here and there.
    {{gwi:477087}}

{{gwi:477089}}

A few other displays
    {{gwi:477091}}

{{gwi:477094}}

{{gwi:477097}}

{{gwi:477100}}

You can see the angular pear tree in this pic. The wood of the trellis is from some monastery.
    {{gwi:477103}}

• sunshine_qld
    13 years ago

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

• marleneann
    13 years ago

They are fantastic pictures. Thanks for posting.

• brom_adorer
    13 years ago

wonderful show by the look of it! Great photos.
    I agree with Kerry, very Avatar!
    Thanks Lyndi, for such a treat
    BA

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Fantastic display! That one pic looks like my mini-van on the way to a sale. ;-)

Love the floral arrangements, especially the one with all of the cascading Heliconias, and also the Gymea Lilies. That last is something new to me, I wonder if they would grow in Hawaii?

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am glad you guys like the displays. Thanks!
    Lis, the last one is a curcuma of Zingiberaceae family. I believe it should grow in Hawaii if alpinias and zingibers can grow there.

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Sorry, by "last", I meant the Gymea. I've never seen those before. I'm always on the lookout for new and different cut flower crops, and I was wondering if they had grown those in Singapore or had the flowers shipped in from Australia. If they will grow in Singapore, they should grow here, but when I googled it it seemed to indicate they are difficult to transplant or grow outside of their native area.

Yes, we do grow (and sell) lots of Curcumas! ;-)

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi Lisa,

Why don't you come over here for a day or two and I'll show you where to go in the bush where you'll see Gymeas growing in habitat in their hundreds. They're quite spectacular when in flower, but they do take a fair bit of growing space. They're also a very common site in the bush when you travel by train to Sydney from where I live. They seem to love the very poor sandstone based gravel type soil.

Years ago we only saw them in the bush, but they are now readily available in various nurseries as landscaping plants.

All the best Nev.

• paul_t23
    13 years ago

Hi Lyndi, fantastic display, thanks for showing it.

Lisa, re the Gymea lilies, if you google doryanthes seed, then down the screen a bit there will be a reference to some growing in the botanical gardens in Mauritius (GW spam filter won't let me mention the site), so if it grows there, maybe HI would also be OK?

This might also be worth a read: http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/factsheets/Flowering-Plants-and-Shrubs/Gymea-Lily-Doryanthes-Spear-Lily/6106

Burke's Backyard is a bit of an Aussie icon, so I would hope the info is pretty solid and I certainly know of some people who have dug them up and moved them around. Road authorities often plant them in median strips here, so I would guess they must be pretty robust if a few basic conditions are met. I suppose you could always try growing some from seed, but they take sooooo long to flower.

Hope this helps. I'm just enjoying seeing lots of them coming into flower in the bush as I drive into work. It looks like this is going to be a good year for them. Cheers, Paul

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Sure thing, Nev, I'll pop right over and take a look. I'll have to be home by tomorrow, though, as I'm expecting an Aussie visitor!

Thanks for the additional info, Paul. It looks like it may be more easily grown than I thought, but with the long blooming time, probably not the most productive or space-efficient cut flower crop-- kind of like growing Alcantareas for cut! Not that I haven't occasionally harvested a spike off of one of those (*ouch*, I know), but it's not exactly something I'd want to rely on for production. I'm not sure why the GW wouldn't let you mention the name of that other page (even if it is kind of a rival site). What if you had a friend named Dave and he had a garden, you couldn't talk about that either? ;-)

Alright, sorry to hijack the thread, Lyndi! We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.....

• bromadams
    13 years ago

Lisa, how much is a big spike worth?

{{gwi:477107}}

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lis, no problem at all. I am interested in the Gymea Lilies as well but my yard is too small for a clump and some Australian plants just don't bloom here, like the Agapanthus.