Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matt15_gw

Brom Mounts and Statues

matt15
13 years ago

Ever since seeing Blueheeler's photos on here I've had a desire to buy an Easter Island / Islander theme Statue and mount a brom in the top for a head piece.

I was able to justify the cost for this to the 'Minister of War and Finance' by combining it with a new letter box.

For now i've mounted a small Aechmea Pectinata. If anybody has any other suggestions for what might look better please let me know.

BlueHeeler if you still visit the forums here I'd love to see an update of yours.

Japie's idea with his bird/chook is also wearing on me, and i'm still considering what animal to create.

{{gwi:477177}}

{{gwi:477178}}

Here is another statue I couldn't resist not to purchase. Kinda looks like SideShowBob for those out there who watch the Simpsons.

{{gwi:477179}}

{{gwi:477180}}

If you have some Broms mounted on anything I'd love to see them.

Matt

Comments (8)

• pinkbroms
    13 years ago

Hi Matt

Maybe a Bromelia balansae on top of that letter box may help keep unwanted bill posters away.

Pinkbroms

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    13 years ago

That looks fabulous! I love it and wish I could find something like that around here to sit on my patio.

Good job!

Linda

• bromaholic
    13 years ago

They're great Matt; I particularly like Side-Show Bob!

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Something like that would work well with Acanthostachys strobilacea.

• tropicalfreak
    13 years ago

Awesome Matt!

Where did you find the Bust planter? Looks like a primitive native man with that brom. ;0)

Cliff

• noid.guest
    13 years ago

With Bromelia balansea and Acanthostachys strobilacea on top, you would need to cut its hair in bangs if you would like to keep getting mailÂ

Side-Show Bob with its hairdo is just great as is...good form, color combination and proportions. Bromaholic, I was also thinking like you and thought it looked like a bushman.

For your pole like statute, you could also try a tight growing Billbergia. This mailbox stands next to an entryway meaning you better work upwards than sideways. The pipe like appearance of several Bills could work well...at least in my imagination. you could also arrange those Bills in Mohawks style...

{{gwi:477181}}

.. on a second thought...even though the curled leave tips of Qusnelia marmorata Tim Plowman could give it a kink a Q m TP would be too small. I think the proportion on my patchwork photo is not all right. Anyway, a tall growing tight Bill would look better.

Smallish stoloniferous plants like fireball, would give the arrangement of its hair a ringlets-like look..again it is just my fantasy.

• matt15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your comments and new ideas.

Pinkbroms i like ur idea for using Bromelia Balansae but do u think it would help me keep away the debt collectors as well?

Lisa I received Acanthostachys strobilacea from Nev here on the forums awhile back so i'll have to give it some serious thought. A grassed looking hair piece would look fantastic.

Cliff i've never heard of the term 'bust planter' before but now I know what it is, thankyou. I found this one on ebay Australia.

NoidGuest that photo edit is great for more ideas. Originally I was going to put a number of Aechmea J.C. Superstar or Chantinii Black as they too have that flute shape of growing upwards rather than outwards.

• blue_heeler
    13 years ago

Here is an update on my Easter Island statue. It currently has a Tilandsia Fascilulata clauspicta in it. Also picked up another smaller statue from a garage sale for $2. It is waiting for a brom. to go in it.
    {{gwi:477183}}
    {{gwi:477185}}