Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
udo69

Hanni....bal Hy......brids

udo69
14 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Last year I'd posted some of my hybrids. At that time they are too young to show their beauties. Now they grow to near maturity but not flower yet. This is a progression of my hybrids. They all have HL as mother plants. I used HL as parents because my aim is to create banded leave plants but only a few has banded foliage as theis parent. I've remember Lisa said Banded characteris in recessive trait and usually not transfer to the next generation. I think that's true. Now let go to the show :-)

HL x (Royal Cordovan x Debbie)

{{gwi:477229}}

{{gwi:477230}}

{{gwi:477232}}

HL x Tossed Salad

{{gwi:477234}}

{{gwi:477235}}

{{gwi:477236}}

{{gwi:477237}}

HL x Isabel cv.Buckingham

{{gwi:477238}}

{{gwi:477239}}

{{gwi:477240}}

HL x johannis'Fairchild'

{{gwi:477242}}

The first HL x Isabel cv.Buckingham is my fevorite. It has Dark purple down the center and also has broad leaf with dark black spines. It looks similar to Painted Delight. I would register it as 'Thailand Delight'. Hybridizing plants still be a greatest task and I have to learn a lot, doesn't it? ;-)

Cheers

Yong

Comments (17)

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Well well,Yong what can i say? you have some very good plants there,its hard to say wich i like best,HL hybridNo2 is a beautifull shaped plant that if crossed again with HL would give some zonated types that blush am sure of it ,as for the others they will make great future parents and yes the HL hybridNo4 is very interesting,but i like the green zonated types very much ,and they could give great offspring if crossed with Neo.carcharodon 'tiger ' You have done very well my friend and thank you for showing us the photos, Bye for now Jack

• neomea
    14 years ago

Hi Yong

I reckon they all have merit-what will be really nice is that they should have great sun-tolerance and that will make them perfect for landscapers to use!

My favorite is:
    HL x Isabel cv.Buckingham the first pic in the series...

Thanks for showing!

Dennis

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

That is very interesting, Yong. I see you've chosen other parents with a wider, more open form than HL, which is probably what I should be doing instead of focusing so much on the leaf markings. Actually I am starting to think that way too. I just pollinated Royal Cordovan with HL, so your first cross above gives me some indication what I might expect (minus the orange tones from Debbie). Too bad none of that grex came out zonated, but maybe if you cross them back to HL as Jack suggests. I hope you will post photos of all of them when they bloom, especially the zonates!

• graykiwi
    14 years ago

They are all fantastic Yong, well done! I love seeing the HL / Tiger type zonates and looking at what is new out there...so many possibilities and parents to select from, as you have done.

I agree the first Isabel photo looks very interesting, as does the 3rd one with the extensive tiger banding and wide green patches - awesome !

Will look forward to you letting us know what they end up being named and registered after they flower ?

Cheers
    Graeme

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Yes,I find Yong,s plants very interesting,and as in all crossings you only need one or two good ones to move to the next generation,i like the way hybrid No1 and No11 show the characteristics that made the cross of 'Hannibal Lector' in the first place ,and the really good thing is that you had a definite aim to start with Yong,and you stuck with it,thats good hybridizing,and yes gives us a look when they flower please ,

• devo_2006
    14 years ago

Hi Yong,

Some very nice hybrids there, & I agree that HL x Isabel cv.Buckingham series has real potential. The first one looks like an improvement on the 'Painted Delight' type of pattern, but I think the second one would be my pick. If the red striation develops it could be very interesting to see it crossed back to HL to obtain a plant with both striation & zonation.

Nice work, Andrew.

• matt15
    14 years ago

Yong whilst I know very little about Hybridizing broms (still learning) I think you've done a fantastic job of mixing these with HL. Congrats and I look forward to seeing them in flower if you post future pics.

Cheers Matt

• Minxie
    14 years ago

Nice hybrids Yong
    I believe Buckingham is a cv. of 'Dexter's Pride' X 'Fantastic Gardens' and one of five other grex mates registered which includes Isabel

• lyndi_whye
    14 years ago

Congrats! Very impressive! Love the broader leaf hybrids and the 2nd one from the HL x Tossed Salad cross (the zonation does not overkill in this one.)

• udo69
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all comment. It's my learning.

Lisa, when I use HL to cross with RC x debbie what I expect is wide open and good color zonate plants but the result are not. Almost of them have wide open and good colors but not zonates. Only one plant has narrow banded leaf but not strong zonation enough.
    HL x (Royal Cordovan x Debbie)
    {{gwi:477244}}

Another red banded leaf. HL x Purple Haze (Very old cultivar)
    {{gwi:477246}}

HL x (cruenta Burle Marxi x (carolinae x concentrica)) also has banded foliages but zonation is not good enough. This plant is still young. I should wait until it bloom.
    {{gwi:477248}}

I also have 2 striate and zonate plants from the same batch of HL x Isabel cv.Buckingham. Plants is too young to guess what they will be.
    {{gwi:477250}}
    {{gwi:477251}}

Here is HL cross with mamorate plants 'Stromy Desert' I'm surprising about the result. The hybrids are banded and marmorated plants.
    {{gwi:477253}}
    {{gwi:477255}}

Minxie. Yes, both Tossed Salad and Isabel cv.Buckingham are cv. of 'Dexter's Pride' X 'Fantastic Gardens' . They have open form that I think it should transfer to the generation.

Hi Jack, I love your Vriesea hybrids. They all are stunning and also difiicult to find in trade. Hope I will get some of your plats someday. Vriesea loves cooler weather than Neo. Here in Thailand is too hot to keep them grow well. I lost some plants during hot weather in summer. I have no experience about hybridization of Vrieseas. Maybe I should try. ;-)

Cheers
    Yong

• graykiwi
    14 years ago

Wow Yong !...I think you are doing just fine with the Neo's by the look of it...no need to try Vrieseas ! haha!

Those Striate/Zonate combos show real potential and I think you should definitely wait until they mature and flower before culling anything ! maybe the red striations will become much darker closer to maturity and flowering, which would be spectacular !?...here's hoping !

Awesome work again. Cheers Graeme

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Wow ,Yong yes you dont need to do Vrieseas,excelent results the H.L x Stormy desert i really like ,you have broader leaves,zonations and some blushing,the potential is huge ,but they are all very good and i can think of a hundred different ways i would breed futher with them ,its enough to make me give up Vrieseas (well almost) and thank you for your kind comments about my hybrids,it is truly amazing how the world of brom,hybrids has changed in the last decade,it makes you feel like a child in a candy store, you do beautyfull work,brilliant

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

I like both of those crosses with Stormy Desert, Yong. The first one does show a bit of influence of HL in the pattern of marmoration. It's what I like to call a "marmazon" (marmorate/zonate). I really like the smooth rounded leaf and subtle tones of the second one, though. Even if the zonation is not as bold as some, there is something very pleasing about it with its green olive color and reddish tips.

I'm tempted to show you some of my experiments with HL but I don't want to take away from your work!

• udo69
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Graeme, Jack and Lisa,

Thank you for your all comments.

Graeme As your advice is true. I should keep Vriesea away and follow through with my Neo. No need to try Vriesea because it's an addiction. ;-)

Jack. I still fond of your Vrieseas. I like the color and leaf patterns of Vrieseas that we couldn't find in other broms. You do a fantastic work.

Lisa. I've never heard the "marmazon" a good word. You have done many works with Neo. hybridizations. Your experiences are very useful for me and others. I like all of your hybrids. Thank you for sharing. ;-b

Cheers
    Yong

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,yes Lisa i like the second plant of H.L x Stormy Desert best to as it shows really top potential,and its a nice shaped plants ,and i have to stay away from Neo's ; i dont have anymore room believe me i am going to be in serious trouble in a few years

• Minxie
    14 years ago

Vriesea sell more plants off and avoid trouble

• vriesea
    14 years ago

What a wonderfull solution Minxie ,trouble is i keep sowing seed and making more and more etc,its a desease i tell you.

Sponsored
More Discussions