Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neomea

How to get pups to form closer to the top

neomea
14 years ago

Hi all

Below is one of my seedlings that has developed quite a nice broad band down the leaf lately. I would like to keep that trait. How do I go about forcing the plant to pup more to the top of the rosette? I plan on cutting out the flower before it forms (I dont have any plans to pollinate), but from there I am clueless....

Any advice would be appreciated as I have a few other plants with some nicely variegated leaves to the top of the rosette and plain green leaves toward the base.

{{gwi:477531}}

Comments (13)

• catkim
    14 years ago

Mmmm, maybe I am clueless, but I don't think it matters where the pup forms. Lots of neos have the green leaves below and top leaves that color up as the plant approaches bloom. Any pup should (I think) be a clone that goes through the same life process of green youth and more colorful reproductive age. But I am no expert by any means! That is a lovely plant and all your offsets should develop very similar characteristics.

• catkim
    14 years ago

Meant to add I will be interested to hear from those with experience if one can force pups higher in the plant and thus change the plant characteristics. Interesting question.

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Kim, I think what Dennis is referring to here is not the coloration of the clone in general, but the differing width of the white stripes on some of the leaves. There is often a correlation between the degree or pattern of variegation of a pup and the leaf axil from which it emerges.

Dennis, is your plant anywhere near blooming? If it is, it may be very difficult to encourage pupping that near the cup. If you can get a lot more foliage growth on it before it blooms, that leaf base will be in a better position. You could remove all other pups below it as they start to form, and try to force it to pup from that leaf axil.

I'm wondering if it's worth it though, since most of the leaves do have some variegation. Just as your seedling has developed some stripes that are broader than others, the pups might do the same. Some variegated clones can become stable over time, particularly over several generations, but others never do. I would remove and discard any unvariegated pups as soon as possible though.

Did you read the recent discussion of this topic re: Blushing Tiger? No, I'm not trying to revive that thread, but that part of it (starting about 10 posts into the thread, see link below) does seem relevant here, and it also contains a link to an article about Ae. Aztec Gold, which describes the process of developing a variegated cultivar out of one with just a single striped leaf.

Another thought: sometimes when I give my plant the screwdriver treatment to force pupping, the pups come out higher up in the plant. Not always, though. It's kind of hit or miss, and seems to vary depending on the cultivar, so there's no predicting how this one will respond.

Here is a link that might be useful: BT thread

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

After taking a second look at your seedling, Dennis, I'd say the new growth is starting to stabilize into a pattern with the type of variegation you want. I've had a number of variegated seedlings do the same after appearing uncertain at first, so I think I'd probably just leave it alone and just hope it doesn't burst into bloom as soon as spring comes for you.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Yes Lisa, i agree, when you look at the 2 innermost leaves coming up i would say the plant will gradually develop a broader pattern,Me ? i would leave it alone,let nature take its course and maybe play around with one of the pups,and you never know Kim the plant may give you a pup or two thats excactly what youre looking for,best of luck ,its a nice plant as it is, Jack

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Dennis,

As I have only just started in this area I have no advice to give, but I'm reading every word and storing it for future reference.

What ever the outcome, it's a very nice plant and if you're not happy with the amount of variegation, you can send it to me and I'll give it a good home.

Great stuff!

All the best, Nev.

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

I like the look of your plant, and like Nev have no advice to offer.
    ha ha nev, you are too funny
    B_A

• neomea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi all

Thanks for the replies!

I read them last night as well as the Aztec gold link (THANKS Lisa) and first thing this morning I went and changed the orientation to the sun of that plant.
    As Jack and Lisa noticed it does seem to be stabilizing. I am going to pot it up and cross my fingers that it doesnÂt flower as soon as spring comes round, however I am sure it will prefer to "cash-in its chips" before it has to go through it's next winter...

Kim-thanks! Yeah I was hoping to induce the plant to produce pups
    from the bases of the leaves that have the broadest variegation as they look the most attractive to me.

Nev thanks! I reckon IÂll keep it for now :-), you never know with these seedlings-they seem to change all the time.

B_A Â Thanks, letÂs hope it makes lots of pretty babies!

Here are two of the above plants siblings...

These seem to know which way they would like to grow.

The pink plant has great colour but is a bit lanky at the moment due to too much feeding. The other had great purple colouring before it too got fed, most of the others from the batch are enjoying the winter sun and should start showing their colour soon----I hope.

{{gwi:477532}}

{{gwi:477533}}

Let me know what you reckon guys...

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Dennis,

What about placing a slow release fertilizer pellet between the leaves where you want a pup to form?

I have only put slow release fertilizer pellets in the well to encourage pupping but I believe that when you place them between individual leaves that they will pup from that point.

Just an idea, I havenÂt proved it.

Cheers,

Rick

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Dennis, I second Nev's advice and his offer. You really have some great results there! Thanks for the pics and the inspiration. Cheers, Paul

• neomea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Rick-thanks that sounds like a plan! Great stuff!!

Thanks Paul....No worries, some from the batch have flowered (attempted to flower) and are producing pups, its the prettier ones that make us wait the longest!

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Well it gets better Neomea ,great plants so what is the parents? i would still let the plants do it theyre own way ,mechanical interference can go the wrong way ,the plants still have some way to go and the pups that will appear will give you a true indication,besides i would want them to flower as i may wish to get seed from the plants,but they are your plants, but very nice well done.

• neomea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Jack...thanks!

The are a host of pollen parents (Big red,ampullacea,Laquer and some others and unknowns), It was one of my first attempts at hybridising and well, labels got mixed up and seed mixed up and ..... The seed parent is Neo carolinae red "variegated", that I can be 100% sure about.

I was thinking that the pink striated plant would be a good plant to transmit/transfer varigation while the other two would not be too much of a sure thing. So I would probably keep that ones flower and pollinate.

Thanks again

Dennis

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!
More Discussions