Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pruning and new growth

Posted by scrumble indoor (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 07 at 11:16

Hi,
I'm new to owning a bromeliad and I finally read somewhere that when the flower loses its colour your are supposed to prune it off. How would I go about doing that? There is one new offshoot starting to grow out of the side, will it eventually flower too? And should I repot it because the new sprout is no longer the centre of the pot?

Thanks for any help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pruning and new growth

I cut the inflorescence off after it dries completely.

The pup should be about 1/2 to 2/3rds size of the mother before separating, and not smaller. I just break it off with my hands and then plant the bottom in a small pot of soil (fast-draining planting mix and perlite mixture). Yes, the pup will flower too. While the mother plant won't flower anymore, you can hang onto it as it can produce more pups. Eventually, it will die and you can throw it out.

o
RE: pruning and new growth

It kinda depends on what genera bromeliad you have. Some its better to leave the pups on and gradually cut away the declining mom. The pups will cover over where she was. With Guzmania leave the pups. Neo's and others they are easier to remove when they have developed their own set of side roots

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here