Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avane_gw

More Purple Star Hybrids

avane_gw
13 years ago

There was still enough light to take some pictures when I got home this afternoon, so here goes.

I do like the almost muddy brown colour that a lot of these seedlings have, and hopefully most of them will have some cup colour at anthesis (except maybe for the Punctate lot, but one can always hope and dream!) I'm sure that none will have that nice pink cup of Andrew's Life Star but I will be happy with some red cups. What I noticed is that in most of the grexes with Purple Star as a pollen parent, some of the seedlings have a kind of striated look, so it could actually be very nice to match Purple Star up with Grace Darling or other striated Neo's.

Like this Neo Yellow Delicious x Purple Star:

{{gwi:478972}}

Neo Tangerine x Purple Star:

(another striated one in the back at the right)

{{gwi:478974}}

But my favourite is this one:

{{gwi:478975}}

Neo Perfecta x Purple Star:

{{gwi:478977}}

And another 2 with faint striation:

{{gwi:478978}}

{{gwi:478980}}

But I like the colour of this one best:

{{gwi:478982}}

And here are some Marble Throat x Purple Star. Not as nice as yours, Andrew. I like the finer and more even marbeling of yours better:

{{gwi:478984}}

But this one is not too bad looking for me. And it still has some way to grow:

{{gwi:478986}}

And here is Lambert's Pride a Purple Star. The ones that had the markings of Lambert's Pride, had none of Purple Star's colour, so I got rid of them:

{{gwi:478988}}

Neo Grace x Purple Star. I do not know whether there will still be some of Grace's colour coming through, but here again is some of that striation:

{{gwi:478991}}

Neo Bob and Grace x Purple Star. All of them are probably going to end up on the rubbish pile, but again some showing some lines. None of Bob and Grace's bands which I hoped for:

{{gwi:478994}}

And some interesting markings on this one but not enough to keep it:

{{gwi:478997}}

Neo Autumn Leaves x Purple Star. Not terribly exciting but again I like the colour of the one on the left. Pity about the pointy leaves:

{{gwi:479000}}

And then the last lot, Neo Punctate x Purple Star. I know it was a long shot, but I hoped for some with a bit more zonation visible on the top of the leaves. But the colour is kind of interesting:

{{gwi:479003}}

And these two look like they are going to be the smallest of the lot. looking almost like some ampullacea:

{{gwi:479006}}

Now if this one in particular had more zonation on top AND it decides to blush purple when it flowers, it could have been a Purple Blushing Tiger. As I said, it's nice to dream!!

{{gwi:479009}}

{{gwi:479011}}

I hope I did not bore you all too much!

Japie

Comments (8)

• graykiwi
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You're certainly not boring me Japie !...always good to see what others are doing and you have some interesting results there, I'm sure there will be a few keepers for you. Yes, I like the last 'Punctate' batch in particular, I think you can live in hope you may get some centre blushing when they flower - especially when you look at what "Life Star" developed into...Nice work !
    Cheers
    Graeme..."Go the AB's next w/e!!"

• vriesea
    13 years ago

HI Japie ,very good my friend ,i think you are being a bit critical considering they have a lot of growing to do , i know the really lousy ones show up early but there are plenty there that i would grow till a bit bigger ,i do like photo No3 ,that one i would certainly hang on to ,keep them a bit longer and let us know later ,thanks for sharing Japie
    Cheers ,
    Jack

• devo_2006
    13 years ago

WOW ! Some great potential there Japie, it's really interesting to see other PS hybrids, and how the purple colouring often does come thru' in it's hybrids...but unfortunately it is one of those colours that is very difficult to photograph.

I do like the Marble Throat hybrids, and I've found they will get better and better as they mature, so hold on to them. Also those Punctate x are great, espec the little ones, I imagine a cross back to Punctate would really bring out the banding.

Good work Japie!

Cheers, Andrew.

• bromadams
    13 years ago

I like the pointy leaves. I should have crossed Purple Star with Granada. I know I still have Purple Star flowering, but I think Granada is done.

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Japie, I really didn't know what you were thinking when you told me you were crossing Purple Star with Tangerine (and I still don't), but I have to admit that glossy auburn is eye-catching. The one in the lower middle of the Perfecta cross has potential too, as do the Punctate crosses.

I guess if there's one thing we can learn from this and Andrew's thread (linked below to keep them together), it is that if you want PS to pass on its purple, you have to cross it with another purple, or at least something that is "purple friendly" (i.e. not red or orange).

I tried a few PS crosses too, but wasn't interested in keeping any of the ones that lost the purple. Fortunately, my one attempt to variegate it turned out to be with a purple-tolerant parent. I'm not claiming I knew this ahead of time, it just worked out that way, and I certainly know it now.

{{gwi:479013}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Star hybrids

• devo_2006
    13 years ago

Stunning plants Lisa ! Are those three from the same grex?

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Actually all four are from the same grex, Andrew. The little narrow-leafed A-M is growing much more slowly than the rest, which I've found is often the case with the ones that are A-M from the start. Not sure why that is. The two on the left are actually darker and purpler in person than in the photo.

• devo_2006
    13 years ago

That really IS a big difference in size Lisa, wonder why the A-M's are so slow? I'd like to see how the pups develop on the nice big dark one at the back...if you manged to get some with wider bands of variegation they would be real eye catchers.
    I do believe you've played the trump card in this round of Purple Star hybrids ;-)

Sponsored
More Discussions