Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splinter1804

Can anyone ID this plant

splinter1804
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

This is one of the first plants I ever bought but unfortunately like quite a few I got when I first started in brom's, I carelessly lost the name tag.

It came from a man who was selling at the Umina markets about five or six years ago. It's a very good grower and flowers regularly and pups and pups and pups.

{{gwi:479708}}

Thanks in advance, all the best, Nev.

Comments (8)

• aroideana
    14 years ago

Nev, if it has slight discolour foliage it could be one of Marg Pattersons hybrids , Vr Sweet Yellow . Mine are just finishing flowering now.

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi aroideana,

Thanks for the feedback, but the foliage is the same green all over and it doesn't seem to matter whether it's grown in strong light or low light, the green colour changes very little.

I thought someone from the NSW Central Coast may recognise it, as the chap selling them had quite a few.

Thanks anyway, all the best, Nev.

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Hi Nev,

I've returned from my internet hiatus.
    If your vriesea's sepals separate, and petals protrude(!), as flowering develops, then it looks and sounds like it could be Vriesea flava (flava = yellow) - a prolific little species which is found in older collections of the eastern Aussie states.
    My clump is currently flowering, and I have just photographed it for you.

Do you think we have a match?

{{gwi:479710}}

{{gwi:479712}}

{{gwi:479715}}

Cheers,
    Kerry

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Kerry,

Nice to hear from you again and thanks for going to the trouble of photographing Vr. flava for this post. That however, is not the plant I have.

I've done what I probably should have done in the first place and added a couple of pic's of mature flowers. These were taken of flowers from other plants which were originally all pieces of the same plant.

{{gwi:479716}}

{{gwi:479718}}

I hope this makes it a bit easier, all the best, Nev.

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi again,

I forgot to add that the plant is 20" high when measured from the base of the plant to the tip of the inflorescence.

All the best, Nev.

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Sorry Nev, it's a mystery to me. Maybe it's one of the many Dutch hybrids?
    I hope someone can identify it for you.

K

• pinkbroms
    14 years ago

Hi Guys

That looks like a plant being sold in the Sydney area in the late 90's as Vr. Gloriosa. Was sometimes called Vr. Poelmanii Gloriosa.

There is also another very similar plant, paddle much broader, more rounded at the top, same colour gold, next to no red central streak that has just been registered as Vr. That's Gold. (not released yet)

Pinkbroms

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Pinkbroms,

That's the best lead I've had to date, thanks a lot.

What about you Jack, any idea?

All the best, Nev.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath
More Discussions