Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sid_marx_gw

Optimum neo seed/seedling temp

sid_marx
13 years ago

Hi, I am wondering if anyone can offer an optimum temperature for germinating neo seed and raising seedlings? It is winter here in NZ and pretty cold so I'm thinking of moving my tiny seedlings and sown, ungerminated seed inside to a more controlled environment than the unheated glasshouse - which is warm enough on fine days but otherwise pretty chilly.

I'm also a bit worried about the trade off between the natural light they get in the glasshouse and having to put them under fluorescents so that I can provide a temperature controlled environment.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments (4)

• devo_2006
    13 years ago

You'll find a controlled indoor set up will give much better growth of seedlings like neos, over the winter months, espec when we get those really cold nights like we had last night!
    See the link to a recent post on my indoor set up that was on the Dyckia forum. There are some good comments on this topic to give you a range of options.

Cheers, Andrew

Here is a link that might be useful: Indoor set raising set up.

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,

Andrew, that's a great looking seed propagation set-up you have there, and tried and tested as well. I might even try and make one myself as my present method of growing seed is very, very, basic.

Sid, I use the same type of plastic containers for seed sowing, but as for temperature control, well I don't have any. I just go by the rule, that if the temperature is comfortable for me, then it works for the brom seed. I get pretty good results but the growth rate is often very slow.

Thanks for sharing your ideas with us, it's very much appreciated.

All the best, Nev.

• sid_marx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Andrew, thanks for the link, that is a great idea. I do indeed have some old aquarium gear at home so have set up an experiment by putting a little heated tank outside, tucked up next to the east wall of the house where it gets filtered light. I've moved some containers of ungerminated seed and seedlings into their new temperature controlled environment (25 degrees Celsius) and left some identical containers in the glasshouse. Should be interesting.
    Thanks Nev for your comments and for the excellent handbook that you PM'd me.

• tomas
    13 years ago

Hi Sid,

I start my seeds under fluorescent lights, keeping them as close as possible to the bulbs, 1-1,5 inches, the heat of the lights will keep the temperature around 25°C considered that the temperature in the place is 15-18°C.

I was also told that more tropical temperatures will help the seeds to germinate, but no of the seeds that failed to germinate at the 25° temperature germinated with more heat.

Tomas

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions