Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bromeliaddict

kids starting to show their stripes!

bromeliaddict
14 years ago

During the summer of 2007 I was tinkering around with these beauties.

{{gwi:480016}}

Now the kids are starting to show their stripes!

{{gwi:480019}}

Paul

Comments (10)

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Paul,

What a great collection to be able to "tinker" with.

The results clearly demonstrate what makes "tinkering" such an interesting and rewarding pursuit.

"Long Live The Hybridizer!"

All the best, Nev.

• User
    14 years ago

Paul, how much would you charge to come over here and tinker with my plants? Those will be very cool looking!

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Yes i agree, good show,looking at those and Yong's hybrids its easy to see the world of zonata type Neo's is going to be a whole lot different in next to no time,yes long life the hybridiser.

• udo69
    14 years ago

Hello Paul,

Nice work. You select the very good banded parents the result should be very nice hybrids. Please do not forget To post your hybrids when they are full-grown. I want to see the result. Well done. ;-)

Cheers Yong

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

In the top picture, what is the Red, zonated plant on the right?
    There should be some lovely plants when the kids grow up! I can't wait to see how they develop.
    I'm a ll motivated for when the spring/summer comes and all the Neos flower! I'll have to buy a new packet of paint brushes and join in the fun.
    B_A

• neomea
    14 years ago

Hi Baddict!

Those babies are looking good...

B_A-I will take a guess and say it is Tunisia!

Cheers

Dennis

• bromeliaddict
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dennis, you got it absolutely right. I really like 'Tunisia'. It's a wonderful, dark leaved plant. I'm counting on it to pass on some of its rich, dark color- and hopefully its banding- to its progeny. Other plants in the top photo: 'Blushing Tiger' (at center) 'Tunisia' (on the right, and then counterclockwise from there-) 'Angel Face' x cyanea, 'Governor's Plea F2', 'Punctate Red' x 'Hannibal Lector', 'Wee Willie', and 'Moyna Prince'.
    I'd love to include 'Hannibal Lector' in the mix. I've had one for years and have a couple generations of pups, but never a flower for me. I'll have to content myself with the f2 seeds that Bob was sharing a couple of years ago. I should also be content that all the parents that I used are on the small side (30 cm. or less)- a fairly important consideration for us wintertime "inside" growers.
    Yong- I'll keep you in mind. I can only hope that some of them will be turn out to be nearly as fine as some of the hybrids that you've posted.
    Gonzer- My sister-in-law recently moved out to the LA area. If my wife and I should ever get out there for a visit, I'd hope I could make a quick trip down to the SD area to visit some of my forum friends!

Paul

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

I love it when they start to show their stripes! I hate it when they don't....

Just out of curiosity, who got crossed with who?

• neomea
    14 years ago

Hi guys

Paul-funny you should mention that your HL's havent flowered as yet (I was thinking about this last weekend)....My HL's and my Tunisias havent flowered yet either. I wonder what it is that they require to get flowering? They keep pupping...

Lisa any ideas?

Cheers

Dennis

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

I don't know, Dennis. Some years I get one or two blooms on my HLs, other years I don't, but there's never been a year where they all burst into bloom at once like many other cultivars do. It just seems to be whenever each individual feels like it. I've had a number of carcharodon types bloom this year, kind of a bonanza, but I'm still waiting for Norman B.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions