Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a couple Vrieseas

Posted by bromeliaddict z6 MI (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 1, 10 at 17:25

This is not the first of the grex to bloom, but it's the first to show half-way decent branching. It was suggested by another hybridizer that the sucrei parentage (Sunset= sucrei x splendens) would lead to mostly simple inflorescences. So far, for the most part, he's been right. A couple have had gorgeous foliage, followed by the most disappointing skinny, tall, simple inflorescence. I like the color combination of the foliage and flower of this one, though it's size (nearly 36") and rather gangly branching habit probably relegates even this one to the cull pile.

Vriesea 'Sunset' x 'Eva'
Vr. 'Sunset' x 'Eva' #10-2

This next one hasn't bloomed yet, but I'm inclined already to want to keep it on account of the plant's form and leaf color.
Vriesea 'Elfi' x bleheri

Vriesea 'Elfi' x bleheri side view pic 2

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a couple Vrieseas

Paul, I have to wonder what some of these would look like if grown in South Florida vs. Michigan. Your 'Sunset' x 'Eva' might be a completely different plant if given some serious sun and heat. I don't have a lot of Vrieseas but they all have been able to thrive in major sunlight.

o
RE: a couple Vrieseas

Thats a great flower spike Paul ,yes mostly the single spike should and will dominate , try crossing that plant with a really good Double pleasure ,you will than keep the good flower spike and get leaf colour and pattern ok ?

Jack

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here