Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gonzer_gw

my all-time slowest grower - Vriesea ?

gonzer_gw
13 years ago

15 years I've had this mystery plant, no bloom, no discernible growth in all this time. Stands roughly 12" high in it's 4" pot. It was a gift from the late Werner Krauspe, J. Arden's next-door neighbor.

Would anyone have a clue to it's pedigree/name? Thanks.

{{gwi:480369}}

{{gwi:480372}}

{{gwi:480375}}

Comments (11)

• sdandy
    13 years ago

Looks kinda like Vr. Purple Haze that I have. Maybe a little too green though. I got mine beat up, promptly gave it more burns, and it doesn't seem to be growing out of it either (now that I think about it).
    -andy

• gonzer_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Andy, I do know that Werner used a lot of V. erythrodactylon in his crosses. I'd think this plant has some fenestralis blood in it.

• sdandy
    13 years ago

Sorry for the confusion Gonz, there are two Vr. Purple Haze plants...I think it was discussed a while ago on the forum but can't seem to find it now. Here is a post of plants Lyndi imported that has a good picture of this 'Purple Haze'. Not sure the full story of the two plants with this name.

Here is a link that might be useful: Post with Vr. Purple Haze photo

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Hi Gonzer ,
    That Vriesea looks a lot like Vriesea " Nova " ( not to be confused with Vr,Gigantea "Nova" ) and is supposed to be to be a cultivar from Vr Gigantea Seideliana ,and it came from J,Arden .( apparently ) thats the best i can do for you my friend ,as for its poor growing habit ? what can i say ,if its that bad there is always the compost bin hmmm?
    Jack

• bromadams
    13 years ago

Gonzer, I think you too should give it away to a friend. Or, you could try Lisa's meristem hack to see if that motivates it.

• gonzer_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for that tidbit Jack, Werner also used Nova quite a bit so it makes sense he'd keep some around.
    Nick, what does Lisa's method entail?

• bromadams
    13 years ago

I thought you would remember the screw driver through the growing point trick.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pupping Question

• gonzer_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not the one where you pour vodka and OJ in the cup is it? Wait! Sorry, now I see the link.

• bromadams
    13 years ago

Actually, I did put some alcohol in the cup of a Neo to see if it would kill the larvae (mosquito?) wiggling in there. It's just as well that it didn't because my normal Merit mix stopped the wiggling and I'd rather just use that.

• gonzer_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Are you using a dilution of Merit® and water? I use the garnular Merit® 2.5G for my systemic needs. I wonder if it could be used in a water-based suspension for treatment on Tillandsias. It works wonders applied as a soil app. even on my Adiantums.

• bromadams
    13 years ago

I buy the 1.47% liquid and mix that in water and spay down the broms, including my Tillandsias. The standard rate is 2 tsps of 1.47% strength imidacloprid mixed in a gallon of water. I've been using about half that amount for regular maintenance and so far that seems to be enough. When I get a new plant I use full strength on the initial treatment.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner
More Discussions