Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19765985

random shots, Arden style

User
13 years ago

Couple of new shots, some stuff you've seen, some not.

nice stem on this Vriesea huh?

{{gwi:480506}}

a perfect Tillandsia brenneri, hard to grow like this

{{gwi:480508}}

Vr. Martian Red x Vr. Mandy

{{gwi:480510}}

Vr. psuedoatra albomarginate, my fave!

{{gwi:480511}}

Alc. glaziouana varigate

{{gwi:480513}}

one of John's, don't know the name

{{gwi:480515}}

bloomage everywhere

{{gwi:480516}}

{{gwi:480517}}

the Maestro

{{gwi:480518}}

Comments (9)

• paul_t23
    13 years ago

Hi gonzer, great plants and great pics, thanks for sharing them. I have to agree with you on that albomarginated V. pseudoatra. What a stunning plant! Cheers, Paul

• bromadams
    13 years ago

My favorite is the T. Brenneri...BSI-V31(1)

A NEW SPECIES FROM CENTRALÂEASTERN Ecuador.

On our trip through Ecuador in 1973 we visited Joe BRENNER in Puyo (Hosteria Thuringia), who has a valuable collection of Ecuadorian orchids and also of some bromeliads. There, we saw a remarkable small bromeliad, which we assumed to be a Vriesea. BRENNER had collected it in the rain-forest around Puyo. He gave us a plant, but it did not flower in Heidelberg.

In June this year I returned to Ecuador and visited Joe BRENNER again. In the meantime he had collected more specimens, and he gave us one with an inflorescence bud. I sent it to Heidelberg, where it came into flower. It was not a Vriesea, as we had assumed, but a new Tillandsia, which we dedicate to its discoverer, Joe BRENNER.

Distribution: Ecuador; Puyo (Deptm. Pastaza), epiphytic, in an altitude between 500 and 800 m.

With help of the Tillandsia-determination keys of L.B. SMITH, one comes to no result. T. brenneri is, with the dark violet spotted leaves, also in vegetative stage a very attractive plant, which seems to be rare, and which needs in cultivation a relatively high humidity.

Probably we found the same species in Northern-Peru between Moyobomba and Rioja (Dptm. Amazonas) in an altitude of about 500 m. Unfortunately it was not flowering.

Heidelberg

• avane_gw
    13 years ago

Nice show, Gonzer!

I specially like those three variegated ones. The unknown one is quite unusual! And me not being an expert in them at all, the Vr preudoatra looks very much like an Alcantarea.

Japie

• vriesea
    13 years ago

I agree with you Japie ,the leaf tips are totally wrong for Vriesea pseudoatra as well as the faint grey scurf bands under the leaves ,looks very much like Alc ,glaziouana albo marginata
    Jack

• bob61
    13 years ago

Great pics gonzer I liked the unknown Vr. It looks to have fenestralis in it. Surprised you didn't have more Tills in the mix.The brenneri is a great plant. tried it years ago and it let me know right quick it wasn't happy. Keep the pictures coming.
    Bob

• marleneann
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!

Is that a picture of you in the last photo?

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jack and Japie, thanks for pointing that out. The names are reversed in my notes. The V. psuedo and the Alcanterea photos should be reversed.
    No Marlene, that's not me, that's John Arden.

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi Gonz,

That's a great lot of interesting pic's you've posted for all to see. Like you, I like the very eye catching Vr. psuedoatra albomarginate the best.

Thanks for posting.

All the best, Nev.

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Mr Arden is a great hybridizer and has produced some amazing plants ,i admire him a great deal ,

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions