Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19765985

different sizes of Till. ionantha

User
14 years ago

The pictured plants are the result of open pollination in a greenhouse. I haven't got a clue as to the proper names and I won't even try to guess who the parents are. The small plant in the lower right is normal size. The others are 5" (13cm) or more. Picked them up years ago when they were seedlings. The last shot is of T. flabellata which has one of the best inflo's in the genus.

{{gwi:480948}}

{{gwi:480950}}

{{gwi:480951}}

The plant on the left has few leaves, is very succulent and was growing next to some rare species from Brazil.

{{gwi:480953}}

{{gwi:480954}}

Comments (6)

• tillandsiakyle
    14 years ago

Gonzer, What are you using for a potting mix with T. flabellata?

• atmccmn
    14 years ago

Gonzer, I must agree with you. There are plentiful of ionantha variants going around with different forms from different regions. Well, I enjoy looking at all of them. Hassle free and gives regular bloom too. Recently got a caulescent type of ionantha Feugo from Paul of RFI. Must admit I like this the best.
    Here's a picture of it.
    {{gwi:480955}}

Wow! your flabellata did display great inflorescense. I looks like some kind of fireworks at night. Nice looking plant but I mount mine without anyy media and it grows just as great.
    {{gwi:480956}}

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Gonzer,

That flabellata is a beauty, but I just love those ionanthas. I've been fascinated by them for ages, but only got my first one a couple of months ago. Now I have seven, and just can't stop getting more! Great to see those pics - and the size! Cheers, Paul

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm using a 50-50 mix of good potting mix and small orchid bark. The bark is sold in 3 cubic feet bags labeled 'decoritive landscape nuggets".
    Atm, the plant in the first pic (lower left, yellow tips) I picked up at Paul's growing grounds near me. He calls it "Druid" but I disagreed, too big. I saw plants like yours there, some stretching even longer. Ionantha, along with tenuifolia, has more forms than any other species IMO, and the different locale varieties...well that's a whole 'nother story! Your flabellata is super.

• atmccmn
    14 years ago

Gonz, ya I noticed that plant. It really double or sometimes triple the size of ordinary Druid. Some Singaporeans named it aurea grandis. All this are too confusing. Perhaps some experts might give some opinions but I just appreciate the form regardless of its' name. Agree with what you've said.
    Recently, my plants flowered and it look like this. Yes it's a Druid, just another form.
    {{gwi:480957}}
    Thank you for your compliment for the flabellata. I've killed too many in a pot already. :-))

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A small form I just picked up from a collector, it only sends out one flower per plant. (so he says)

{{gwi:480958}}