Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aechmea ID needed

Posted by brodklop (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 5, 10 at 19:29

I bought a pup from this brom but the people did not know the ID. Friends were thinking 'Friederike'. But 'Friederike' is not suppose to have spines. As you can see it is a large brom. This was growing in full sun. The flower head is so large it is falling over under it's own weight. I had to hold it up to photograph it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Cheers

Brod

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aechmea ID needed

It could be Fascini (or Chantata, which is the same cross in reverse). Not sure, but it's definitely a fasciata hybrid.

o

Yes, I also think it may be Fascini, which has been grown in the Brisbane area for quite a while. It is a large and heavy brom. Chantata is less likely - not known much of, if any, in S.E.Queensland. I agree it is definitely a fasciata hybrid.

With those spines it can't be Friederike, so you were correct in questioning that Brod. Unfortunately, there looks to be a Friederike (spineless cv. of Fascini) thrown in to the Fascini group of photos on the FCBS photo index - just to confuse the issue. The post-flowering plant in your photo probably had lighter, brighter bracts when in flower.

If it's not Fascini, it might be Pink Rocket - another fasciata hybrid. It is also grown in the Brisbane area. I'm still leaning towards Fascini though. The redder-pink floral bracts are more in keeping with Fascini.

Here are some old photos of Fascini growing on a paperbark Melaleuca. Most of my broms are usually more compact when grown hard and epiphytically.
Photobucket

Photobucket

And here are a couple of photos of Ae. Pink Rocket. (fendleri x fasciata)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Cheers,
Kerry

o

Thanks Lisa and Kerry, I think you are on the money with 'Fascini'.

Here is a photo of my pup

Photobucket

Cheers

Brod

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here