Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Werauhia gigantea

Posted by aroideana Tropical Australia (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 08 at 20:02

I recieved seeds of a large unidentified species of Vriesea a few years ago .. came with many other lots . It was either from Santa Catarina or Mato Grosso [ I know makes it hard] Finally one was coming into flower , BUT the rain gods have been cruel and it has rotted of before maturity .. I spotted a picture in Lemes first book af a near identical plant , and that led me to Vriesea amazonica . and now to this Werauhia .. I thought it may be a Werauhia , as it had small hair pups when young and loked very similar to sanguinolentas I have grown , the same size also .. anyone grown this before ? Any pictures ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Werauhia gigantea

Hi 'roid,
Vriesea amazonica has been questioned as a parent plant of a supposed hybrid by John Buchanan (the other parent being V.fosteriana Red Chestnut). This hybrid looks almost identical to the hybrid imported by Olive Trevor in 1980 from Hans Gulz in Germany - and her hybrid now has the general name of V. Gulz. Then I found out that V. amazonica has been renamed Werauhia gigantea. The plot thickened, as the Buchanan hybrid does not look like it could be crossed with V.amazonica/W.gigantea - WHICH I have finally found growing at Bruce Dunstan's Stockade nursery. I don't have a photo of it unfortunately, but I looked at it closely.
Bruce had it labeled as V. amazonica, and I think he brought it back from his many travels in Central and South America. It has plain green narrowish leaves, tapered at the ends, and quite large and full - approx. 60cm high and wide. First time I saw it I gasped, as I suspected (wrongly) that the elusive plant was a furphy. On my last visit to Stockade, it was coming into flower - and it had an insignificant colourless branched spike like other werauhias.
Bruce should be back from Peru now, so I could ask if he has a photo, and exactly where it came from?

Cheers,
Kerry

o
RE: Werauhia gigantea

Kerry , I may have sent you a plant of this ,, I had listed some on ebay ages ago .. it changes a lot as it matures .. will send you some pics later .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here