Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splinter1804

Surprise!

splinter1804
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I was going through a batch of seedlings a while back and found a nice little unexpected surprise; my first radial red.

Although it's not to the standard of the others I've seen, I find it pretty exciting that I grew it from my own seed.

{{gwi:481610}}

{{gwi:481611}}

{{gwi:481612}}

I just thought I would share my excitement with the rest of you.

All the best, Nev.

Comments (14)

• devo_2006
    14 years ago

Hi Nev, nice looken plant! I really do like the radial reds.

What were the parents? And was this the only one in the grex that showed the red striations?

Cheers, Andrew.

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Nev, nice one! It'll be fun to watch it develop. Cheers, Paul

• neomea
    14 years ago

Nev

Gets my stamp of approval! Lets hope that it develops more "islands" of green as it matures.....I reckon that will make it even prettier.

Dennis

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Very nice color on that one, Nev. Hopefully the form will fill in as it gets more leaves on it.

Parents? Inquiring minds need to know......

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Andrew and Lisa: Seed parent was Neo. Bea Hanson and pollen parent was Neo. Painted Lady (the one that I got that first variegated sport from which I posted previously)

Andrew: There is another plant which has possibilities also, but a grass hopper had a chew on it. It will survive but it's badly chewed.

I intend getting the whole batch out and going through them more closely and I will post any developments.

Thanks for the possitive comments, all the best, Nev.

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Hi Nev, I am a bit partial to vertical striping, and have a couple of un-named hybrids (parents unknown and not of my doing)that I am awaiting to mature. I look forward to seeing how your one goes in comparison. Thanks for sharing
    b_A

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Given those parents, Nev, that is indeed a surprise! I'm guessing Bea must have some hidden Rosea Striata in her background.

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

A couple of new developments with the Bea Hanson hybrids;

The first few pic's is of the plant the grasshoppers originally chewed. It now has thrown a pup which as well as the striations, is also showing some of Bea Hanson's markings.

{{gwi:481613}}

{{gwi:481615}}

{{gwi:481617}}

This next lot of pic's are of a third seeedling I found from the same batch. Although the striations are much weaker, they are still visible nevertheless.

{{gwi:481619}}

{{gwi:481620}}

{{gwi:481621}}

{{gwi:481622}}

{{gwi:481623}}

All the best, Nev.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi Nev, thats very nice,great markings and good colour,but you are a bit harsh the plant is still young and will get broader leaves as it grows mate,also i have found that its the pups that show the full potential as the grow and mature, i would say you do have a good one,well done.

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi vriesea

Welcome to our friendly forum. It's good to see another Aussie on board; where in Aus. do you come from, anywhere on the south coast of NSW by any chance?

Thanks for the input, all the best, Nev.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi Nev,no i live on the north coast,possibly now the wettest spot on earth ,in regards to your lovely striped seedling(s) i do suggest that you follow up the entire family tree of the parents used,htat may tell you where the stripping came from,bearing in mind that these 'abnormalities'can randomly appear and may not have anything to do with the parents but generally its in there,some particular plants have a propensity to do certain things ,and for future use if you where to produce more of the same ,i would cross that seedling with say Neo.amazing grace,rosea striata,jewelry shop ,break of day,gold lotto that will give you great potential for stripes ,colour and good shapes,but you offcourse will allways still get some plain plants,what to do with those?well thats why i have a compost bin,but some people still want to either register the poor plants( or sell them of)look at some of the Neo hybrids that have been on fcbs (or other types)my goodness why would you bother? for variegates ;look for the flowers that have variegated petals they are the ones to pollinate ,they give you the best change,it was once thought that variegations where caused by virus ,but once a plant is affected with virus it has it for life AND all parts are affected ,you can not get a plain pup from a plant that is virus variegated that is a physical impossibility ,and the white tissue breaks down ,goes brown and dies,this can still happen cause if a plant is heavely variegated it needs more light to survive otherwise the plant will either go greener or will kill the albinistic parts of (goes Brown) people think thats burn and so give the plant less light again,fertelizer can also get rid of it (the albino parts)but in the case of your seedling fertelizer would make it more red (if low nitrogen)there by masking the lines but wont get rid of it ,if you where to self the plant eventually you then pick out the best lined plant and breed from that,why ? well all the traits have been magnified so it becomes dominant,thats why selfings are important the good traits are good and the bad ones are very bad.sorry if i got a bit carried away, bye Nev

• Minxie
    14 years ago

How rare is it to see variegated petals in bromeliads? I would love to see a photo of one.

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi vriesea,

Thanks heaps for the breeding advice.

I can assure you, your advice, like all the advice from other growers on this site is very much appreciated by me and others.

All the best, Nev.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi Minxie,in answer to your question of variegated petals its not common,but on some Neos its there often enough but hard to see,you really have to look,Neo's such as the 'aussie Dreams' have it as they are variegated plants ,you wont see it on none variegated plants, and not all flowers will exhibit it,and its very rare on Vr,but then there are few variegated Vrieseas, but if you look at the spike of Vr,Poelmanii'White Line' you will see that some of the red bracts are variegated with gold,yellow and rarely cream so aim for the flowers that are there and if the petals are streaked as well you at least have a chance,Neo,s are your best bit and the classic to breed variegates from is Neo.Meyendorfii Variegata ,if you use that you will allways get a percentage of variegates,and strangely enough Neo.concentrica has a propensity for doing that as well if mated with a variegated plant it accepts it readily,certain plants do certain things,Neo'Avalon'gives patterns like you find in'Bob and Grace' you know the green banding effect,so before you do a cross study what does what and give your self every change of success Bye bye

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions